Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random Harware Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustbuster

Programmer
Dec 19, 2002
Hello all,

I have a Windows 98SE system that will kind of freeze. It seems to freeze the mouse and keyboard while other motion on screen/audio still works.

When I manually restart the system the BIOS can't recognize the hard drive. If I restart the machine a couple of times it eventually finds the hard drive.

The hard drive is a 40GB maxtor so I used Powermax to test the drive but nothing is wrong.

I also used MicroScope to test the motherboard, hard drive, and RAM and no errors were reported.

Any help would be great

Could be symptoms of a hardware problem - often you needto disconnect or replace items to check if they're causing problem (report ok in test utility, but..)

Or it might just be good ole '98 - I used to get those symptoms before I gave up on 9x over 5 years ago! (trouble shoot hardware, clean reinstall etc, still recurred - same system ran NT then 2k perfectly well...)

Hi there,
Try downloading SiSoftware Sandra and run that. It will tell you just about everything that is going on with the computer.

I used it and it works great, it even recommends what you should do to fix things on the computer.

Jediwarrior

I would like to be sure it is not a hardware issue before I wipe the system. I will try SiSoftware Sandra and post again if I'm still having problems

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like your hard drive is starting to go south, I have seen this problem with a number of Maxtor drives. Eventually the drive will not be recognized by the system. I would try running the system with a different drive, see if that solves your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back