Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random Error Connection to ODBC Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTilson

Programmer
Jul 14, 2004
US
I recently installed and set up a new ODBC driver on my system so as to have direct access to the tables in our customized data entry system. The odd thing is is that the connection seems to work some of the time, and when it does work, it works flawlessly. For about the first four hours yesterday it worked perfectly fine, then it just quit working, and it still doesn't work this morning, save for about a 3 minute period when I first came in to work. If it matters, the system I am connected to was designed using ACI's 4th Dimension Development Software, and is running on 4DServer.

When I try to link in a new table, the connection is seemingly fine, because every time it will bring up a list of all the tables in our database, but when I actually try to establish the link to one, it gives the error "Invalid Argument" simply with an OK and a Help button. I read the help topic on it, but it didn't help in the least. Ironic huh?

So if anyone has any idea as to what might be going on with this, please let me know.

Thanks a ton.

Brooks Tilson
Database Development
Tilson Machine, Inc.

could be network related? flakey connection? seems weird that it works then doesn't work. Unless you are doing anything dynamic with the ODBC / DSN structure it should stick.

I've decided that the error is related to the ODBC driver provided by 4D. The connection to my other ODBC data source seems to be working fine. However, I uninstalled and reinstalled the 4D ODBC driver, and remade the data source connection. When I tested the connection, it said that it succeeded, but when I try to link to a table from that database into my current access database, it still gives the error "Invalid Argument." I don't understand exactly what it is that's going on.

Thanks.

Brooks Tilson
Database Development
Tilson Machine, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back