Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random Data Set - 1 Row Per Person 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwolf00

Programmer
Nov 5, 2001
US
Hi,

I am trying to write a query that will give me one random row per user. Let's say the table has a userName column and a requestNumber column. The requestNumber column is unique so that one user may have many requests. Can I write a query that will list each user once with a random request number?

This is as close as I've come...
Code:
SELECT userName, max(ranVal)
FROM (Select userName, requestNumber, dbms_random.value ranVal
from myTable)subTable
GROUP BY userName

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook

How are the "RequestNumbers" assigned and distributed for each "UserName"?[ul][li]Example 1: For each user, request numbers start with one and increment by 1 until the numbers reach their current maximum for that user.[/li][li]Example 2: Users' RequestNumbers are assigned from a sequence used by all UserNames, so there is no way to predict the starting, next, or current value when looking at the RequestNumbers for a specific user.[/li][/ul]Your response to the above question affects significantly the code to do what you want.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Thank you for the reply. Example #2 is more accurate. The RequestNumber field is actually a 17 digit alpha-numeric field that really isn't sequential at all.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook

MWolf,

Since you posted no data for me to use, I was unable to test my code, below, but I hope it works for you:
Code:
SELECT userName, x.RequestNumber
  from (select UserName
              ,RequestNumber
              ,row_number() over (partition by UserName order by RequestNumber) Req_Sequence
          from myTable) x
      ,(select UserName, trunc(dbms_random.value(1,cnt)) rnd
          from (select UserName, count(*) cnt from myTable group by UserName)) y
 where x.UserName = y.UserName
   and req_seq = rnd
 order by UserName
/
Let me know if it does what you want.

[santa]Mufasa
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Wow, I have no idea how this works but it works great. Thank you very much. I'm sorry for the lack of sample data but I was already simplifying this a whole lot. Here is my final solution
Code:
 SELECT x.txtAssignedAnalyst, f.efoldername, f.estagename
 FROM (
 	  SELECT txtAssignedAnalyst, efolderid, row_number() over (PARTITION BY txtAssignedAnalyst ORDER BY efolderid) req_sequence
	  FROM rbm_management WHERE TRUNC(dtActualDay2Complete) = TO_DATE('2/14/2008','mm/dd/yyyy') 
	  	   OR (TRUNC(dtWithdrawn) = TO_DATE('2/14/2008','mm/dd/yyyy') AND dtdeadlinestart > TO_DATE('1900','yyyy'))
 )x
 , (
   	  SELECT txtAssignedAnalyst, TRUNC(dbms_random.value(1,cnt)) rnd
	  FROM (SELECT txtAssignedAnalyst, COUNT(*) cnt FROM rbm_management 
	  WHERE TRUNC(dtActualDay2Complete) = TO_DATE('2/14/2008','mm/dd/yyyy') 
	  	   OR (TRUNC(dtWithdrawn) = TO_DATE('2/14/2008','mm/dd/yyyy') AND dtdeadlinestart > TO_DATE('1900','yyyy'))
	  GROUP BY txtAssignedAnalyst)
 ) y, eFolder f
 WHERE x.txtAssignedAnalyst = y.txtAssignedAnalyst
 AND x.efolderid = f.efolderid
 AND req_sequence = rnd
 ORDER BY x.txtAssignedAnalyst

MWolf said:
Wow, I have no idea how this works but it works great.
Yes, Oracle Analytics are a "Great Leap Forward". You can read and learn more about Oracle Analytics, and see excellent coding examples, at this link: [link]http://www.orafaq.com/node/55 Analytic Functions by Example[/url], by Shouvik Basu.

Let us know your evaluation of Shouvik's page.

[santa]Mufasa

SantaMufasa said:
Let us know your evaluation of Shouvik's page.

I think it will take me a while to absorb the whole page, but I have been through the first few examples and I have found them well written and extremely helpful. I will have to try to work them into my queries and try to get used to using them.

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back