Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random crashing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blasted

Technical User
Nov 19, 2003
GB
I have a problem in that my pc likes to srash at radom times. I have run norton system works, no problems, i have done a virus check, nothing. If i play a game i have on the system it will crash, most of the time it has been graphic related. I have a gforce fx 5200 graphics card. It has crashed during other times though. The cpu temp seems to be stable at around 40 degrees.

The system i have is an asus a7v600 motherboard with a 512 ddr ram, and a athalon 2800, i am running windows xp professional.

any help would be greatly appreciated. I cant think of anything to do to diagnose the problem.

To address the problem from another angle.
Try borrowing another graphic card (other chipset) .
Having nvidia , test the rig with an ati .

And keep an eye on the cpu voltage for fluctuations and
drops .

Yeah i think you should troubleshoot your system with your friends "working" PCs. You should try peripheral by peripheral, on working PC.

I think you really had to check your system chipsets, it really matter, sometimes they don't get along very well. Try looking the chipset issues (Video Card, MB, SC, etc.) on the manufacturer website.

I think benchtest will not solve your problem.

right its crashed twice today, all i had open were a few windows, whille ripping my music to mp3 and downloadinf a few tracks.

I got a blue screen andwhen i looked at the tch report it gave me

c:docume1\benlee1\locals1/temp/wer1.temp.dir00\sysdata.xml

there are the sqiggly lines prior to all the ones, my keyboard wont do them though.

On another attempt i noted from the blue screen

.sys-adress.f4c31ed8.baseatf4c25000.datestamp3b7de438

I know some have talked about the chipste being wrong. Does this mean the there is a conflict between the cpu and the graphics card? what sort of graphics card would work well with the system. Asus kt600 motherboard and an athlon xp2800 cpu.512 kingston ddr ram

If any of the codes mean anything plaese help. if they are the wrong codes let me know and i will write down the correct ones

This has worked for instability of the cpu and memory
for several people .

Disable the voltage auto function .
Set the cpu voltage to 1,75v.
Set the vdimm (voltage to the memory chips) to
2,6v (test this first)
2,7v (if 2,6 fails)
2,8v (if 2,7 fails)

If okay :
reduce the cpu voltage one step at the tim to you find
the best one for your mothernboard & PC's PSU.

I have just been watching a film and it crashed, i was watching it off the hard drive and it was fine for about an hour. It just blue screened and i had to reset it.

I had a quick look at the bios and it gives me the option of changing the cpu voltage. I tried upping it to 1.75 volts, it still crashed, that was the other day though. i didnt see where i could alter the vdimm voltage. I have now reverted to the default bios setting.

People have talked about the chipsetts mot getting along. Does this mean there is an incompatabilty between the cpu and the graphics card? if so and i were to get another graphics card what should i be looking at?

I am gettign bloody sick of this. I left the computer on but doing nhothing all day and its fine, i have also left it downloading over night and i get no problems.

A lot of people are so focused on High performance rather than stability that they forgets , or no longer got the ability to see the result of , what they have been doing.
They always says , my friends system can do this or that and so should mine...

If you are one of those that likes to push performance by constantly messing with the settings I would kindly and politely suggest that you start out by loading conservative default values in BIOS and then take it from there on....

Apart from that.... Sometimes when games crashes it is because people has got a lot of stuff resident in memory at startup. Please try "killing" all un-necessary memory resident processes !!!

Regards

Sometimes a system will crash due to sound card issues.

Sometimes you have one flaky program or DLL that can casuse a memory leak and the system will crash when it runs out of memory.

Did you use name-brand RAM or generic no-name RAM? If you did, is your RAM compatible with the motherboard? Check with the manufacturer of the RAM to insure this.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I had to resort to swapping out trusted components with a friend. It looks like it was the ram that was causing problems. I have installed unreal tournament on the system. I first tried swapping the graphics card. Mine worked fine in his. Next we tried the ram. I took out mine(512 ddr 33mhz) and replaced with 2 sticks of 128. The game now worked fine. So i went out and bought a new stick of 256 ddr ram. That works fine. If i put the 512 stick in it carshes as soon as the game starts. I shall now be contacting kingston and asking that they change the ram.

Thanks for all the help and the different opinions.

Fingers crossed that should be it.

Oh and i just got my new wireless mouse replaced, i now dont have to use the crappy spare that sticks.

Blasted,

Is your A7V600 stable now? I have an a7v266 I think at home and am having the same problem. My board is made to accomodate either sdram or ddr and I am using sdram I had around. the mtinst.exe crashed and gave me an exception error - trap 0000006 and stopped working. Maybe new Ram is the logical next step?

Hello everyone I am new here and I seem to have the same problem as what people have listed here, I hope someone can help me.

Basically I am using:

Aopen AK33 motherboard
AMD Athlon 1.4ghz
512MB Crucial SDRAM P133
Creative Riva TNT2 M64
Windows XP Pro

I am getting constant freezes no matter what I do. I can be surfing the net, playing a game, watching a DivX movie or something and then BANG!! it freezes and locks up. I have to power off and power on again.

I have installed all recent drivers for everything and have all the updates for Windows. Also I have flashed my BIOS to the most recent available.

I saw someone post that whoever they were talking to should try booting into safe mode and see if it still freezes.

Well I tried this and normally one of my DivX movies after about 15 imns or so would usually freeze, BUT NO, it jept playing for a good while.

However MY QUESTION IS DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS???
What do I do next to sort out the problem?

Of course there is no sound in safe mode, and limited graphics etc.. so I don't know what it could be.

Can anyone please help??

I should point out if you are going to talk about hardware, my PSU is new its an Enermax 350W, my memory is also new, its Crucial and is 100% compatible with my motherboard.

Thanx, so if this is a bit long, just wanted to make sure I get everything in.

After i changed the ram i found that it hasnt crashed. Although the symptoms pointed to other areas of the computer, i only found out it was the ram after swapping components with a system i knew worked. After that point everything has done what it has supposed to.

I wouldnt like to say that it was the ram on other systems but swapping components with a system that worked saved me a lot of expense and time. I had also tried the route of re installing drivers and tweaking the settings, but i am on the basic setting now and it works as advertised.

I would like to say that when i rang kingston and complained about the faulty ram they took some pursuading, but relented when i explained i had done more than the person dealing with the fault knew about.

Lesson 1

dont trust the ram test programmes, they didnt work for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back