Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random BCM Questions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

snd1234

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2006
US
I've spent some time trying to understand these BCM systems and I have some questions I couldn't find answers. Some of these answers are really difficult to find and I've searched for a long time.

1. Does a license for a "SIP Trunk" mean you are allowed one connection with unlimited channels to another SIP device/service provider or does it mean you can only have one SIP call going to another device/service provider?

For example, if I bought one SIP license for use with a provider like Bandwidth.com woudl that mean I could only have one SIP call going at a time even though I was paying them for say 10 channels?

2. When you do licensing, can it be done piecemeal? For example, say you need 64 IP seats but only buy 32 one month, 16 the next, 8, then another 8 the final month. Does that work out right even though there is a 64 seat product out there?

3. How does a migration between BCM400 and BCM450 with the NTC01076KC work? Specifically, I have seen some posts that say what happens is that you get sent a BCM450 "motherboard" to replace the motherboard in your BCM400 chassis. Then you send the old motherboard back. Then Nortel gives you new keycodes for the new board to match what you had. Is that how it works or do you have to buy a whole new BCM450 system and then migrate your Cm400 r4.0 system with the keycode and send you old system back?

Thanks, guys!

1. 1 voip trunk means 1 call only to the SIP device. You would need 10 trunk licenses to make 10 calls.
2. It can be piecemeal and you can add them at anytime.
3. The migration keycode only migrates the keycodes from the 400 to the 450. You still need to buy a 450 system and any additional media bay modules necessary. You also have to turn in the MSC from the 400 you migrated the keycodes from.

To clarify the migration process.

The bcm 400 to bcm450 means a new system chassis is required because its a completly differrent piece of hardware.
No msc card .
Same as bcm50 all programming is on the hard drive
The Base function trays are different.
The internal layout is different.
Ther are 4 MBM slots as Before
The slots in which you put in you MBM cards needs to be configured First before inserting them and into the correct slot.

The migration licience alows you to transfer you keycodes to the new system when the LIC file is created. you need the 2 system IDs old and new to transfer them across.

you use your existing MBM modules and you need to completly reprogramme the system from scratch as its a NEW System.

You then send back the old system as per migration agreement.

Hopr this helps.

Exactly as Snowman says, plus if you don't send the MSC board containing the migrated keycodes back to Nortel in 30 days, you or the vendor will be billed the full cost of the migrated keycodes. Also if you had an expansion chasis on the old 400, you need an expansion keycode to add it to the 450, just as if you're adding an expansion to a BCM50.

Yup, I mostly understood that part. I was just confused if they sent you a BCM450 board or you had to buy the whole unit yourself. Don't know why I thought that, probably just misread one of the threads here while I was searching for the answer myself.

On a BCM 400 3.6 software. Users of desktop messaging are sometimes unable to listen to a message using their PC. They can listen to it using their phone. When the message is opened on their outlook, they know it will not work if it shows a little envelope where the progress bar and all that stuff shows.

I guess I missed what question you are answering oldskoool!

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back