Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random audio problem on SP350

Status
Not open for further replies.

phadobas

Technical User
Jul 30, 2005
US
Weird, intermittent problem:
Some of the SP350 users sometimes, randomly, experience 1-way audio. When this happens, they have to put the person on hold and retrieve the call right away, and audio works (or just do it again 2-3 more times and it will work). Audio also kicks in when the user conferences in another staff. I have no idea how to even approach the problem as it's so random and can't discover any pattern to the problem. But here is some more data:
The SP350 phones are on a different subnet then what's the SV8500 is. Our IT dept swears that while most of the traffic is blocked between those subnets by the firewall in between, they opened the ports that are being used by the SP350. Since these users are making and receiving outside calls, not station-to-station calls, I can't verify whether the problem occurs on internal calls or not. But on outside calls, the SP350 obviously needs to talk to a) the SV8500 for signaling, b) the IP PAD card for audio, and c) a PRI Media Gateway that's yet on another subnet for audio for certain outgoing calls (depending on LCR settings).
I've actually observed this even when they are checking the voicemail, which is an internal call via the IP PAD card. You dial the number and you don't even hear the ringback tone, much less the voicemail prompts after it picks up.
This is all the data I can think of right now. When I un-program any of the stations and re-program it, the problem is still there. Putting the station on the different LEN doesn't solve it. Rebooting the computer that hosts the SP350 doesn't solve it. I've created location ID-s for the different subnets (SP350, SV8500/IP PAD, PRI MGC) and defined specific codec settings between those, but whatever I try, doesn't solve the problem.
Any idea?

Is Quality of Service set up? ALOCL and AIVCL - Diffserv - DSCP value 46 for EF - network folks need to set up routers as well.

Placing the call on then off of hold grabs a new PAD channel. This is a NTAC troubleshooting test to narrow it down to the network. QOS is a necessity, but I'd also check to make sure there are no ports blocked. Key in on the network that has the PAD cards.

Dear Belvedere,
Your note seems VERY useful. I haven't thought of that. So I might have a bad PAD card. Is there a way (like DCON) to see which PAD channel the phone is using? Then I could tell the user to make a call and tell me what happened while I watch the PAD channels in use.

Reading up on this more today, I also see that the phone is using different IP ports for its audio, and it randomly picks a port from a range. So I might have most of those ports open between my subnets, but maybe not all. So let's say there is a problem with audio because the phone picked a port that's blocked, and then the user puts the call on hold, then retrieves it and the phone may pick another port that's not blocked.

There are some commands that may help.
DCON = display connection
FLNK = PAD trace command
SPTS = PAD use
FSTS = display detail connection (station)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back