Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM Upgrade PC2100

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeena143

Technical User
Jun 20, 2008
GB
Hellow
I have a Time PC with the mother board model
MS-7095 VER: 1

It has 2.40Ghz Intel celeron Processor and it had 224MB of RAM which is installed.

Now the mother board specifications says it can support up to 2GB.Now i want to Upgrade the RAM size to 2GB
will this slow the processor.Looks silly but iam not really sure
See the link below for the mother board model.

Here is everything you need to know about your board:

From below: " • Supports Four memory banks using two 184-pin unbuffered DDR200/266 DIMM."
This mean there is two slots that will support DDR200/266. This may be difficult to obtain as these speeds are a bit slow. Thankfully the 478 chipset can actually support DDR400. I would suggest flashing the BIOS with the latest revision from MSI's website here:

Upgrading your RAM will absolutly not slow down your processor. Quite the opposite. At 224 MB RAM the systme will benifit greatly from the upgrade. Make sure to obtain 2 X 1GB DDR400 as each slot can only support 1GB.

CPU
• Socket 478 for Intel® P4 Celeron/Northwood/Prescott/Prescott Celeron CPU
• Supports up to 3.06GHz with FSB 400/533MHz
• Supports Hyper-Threading Technology

Chipset
• VIA® P4M266A (VT8751A) Chipset (664 BGA)
- 64bit P4 processors FSB I/F (533MHz).
- 64bit DDR SDRAM memory I/F (200/266MHz)
- 32bit AGP I/F (66MHz) for 4x/2x mode
- 8bit V-Link I/F (66MHz) with peak bandwidth of 266MB/s

• VIA® VT8237 Chipet (487 BGA)
- Integrated Hardware Sound Blaster/Direct Sound AC97 audio
- Ultra DMA 66/100/133 master mode PCI EIDE controller
- ACPI & PC2001 compliant enhanced power management
- Supports USB2.0 up to 8 ports

Main Memory
• Supports Four memory banks using two 184-pin unbuffered DDR200/266 DIMM.

• Supports up to 2GB memory size.
• Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM.
Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.
Example: Kingston HyperX DDR500 PC4000 operates at 2.65V, 3-4-4-8, CL=3.
For more information about specification of high performance memory modules, please check with your Memory Manufactures for more details.

Slots
• One AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) 2X/4X slot.
• Three PCI 2.2 32-bit PCI bus slots (support 3.3V/5V PCI bus interface).
• One CNR (Communication Network Riser) slot.

BIOS
• The mainboard BIOS provides "Plug & Play" BIOS which detects the peripheral devices and expansion cards of the board automatically.
• The mainboard provides a Desktop Management Interface (DMI) function which records your mainboard specifications.

On-Board IDE
• An IDE Controller on the VT8237 chipset provides IDE HDD/ CD-ROM with PIO, Bus Master and Ultra DMA133/100/66 operation modes.
• Can connect up to four IDE devices.

Video
S3 Graphics ProSavage8 Integrated Graphics core upto 32MB.

Audio
AC'97 link controller integrated in VIA® VT8237
VIA VT1617A 6-channel S/W audio codec.
- Compliance with AC97 v2.2 Spec.
- Meet PC2001 audio performance requirement.

LAN
VIA VT6103L PCI loval bus single-chip Fast Ethernet Controller.
- with external 10/100 Base-T LAN transformer.
- Integrated Fast Ethernet MAC and PHY in one chip
- Supports 10Mb/s and 100Mb/s auto-negotation operation.
- Compliance with PCI v.2.2 and PC99 standard.
- Supports ACPI power management.

On-Board Peripherals
- 1 floppy port supports 1 FDD with 360K, 720K, 1.2M, 1.44M and 2.88Mbytes
- 1 serial ports (COM A)
- 1 parallel port supports SPP/EPP/ECP mode.
- 8 USB ports (Rear x 4/ Front x 4).
- 1 RJ-45 LAN jack
- 1 Line-In/Line-Out/Mic-In port
- 1 VGA port.

Dimension
9.57 in. (L) x 7.44 in.(W) MicroATX Form Factor

Mounting
6 mounting holes

Thomas S.
MCDST, A+, Net+, CNA

Tscrappy said:
This mean there is two slots that will support DDR200/266. This may be difficult to obtain as these speeds are a bit slow.

I just bought two sticks of DDR266 here, the DDR 400 that I tried would not work. Always buy RAM from a vendor that supports incompatible modules, but expect to pay shipping both ways plus a "restocking fee". It's best to just get what the mainboard manufacturer recommends in the first place.

Agreed on all other points.

Tony

Users helping Users...

TScrappy said:
478 chipset can actually support DDR400
never heard about that chipset... actually that is a socket describtion and the chipset is as you later mentioned the VIA M266A and you might get lucky that it supports DDR 333 at max...

as Whanula pointed out, in his case the motherboard did not support the DDR400 RAM he bought...

my suggestion: follow Whanula's link, there you can not go wrong... but with the specs you listed (Celeron 2.4ghz and 256mb RAM (minus the 32 for the onboard graphics = 224mb)), I would wait and save up money and purchase a newer rig...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Yes, like Ben pointed out, 478 is the socket type not the chipset type.

VIA only made a few models for socket 478, none of which supported dual-channel or DDR400 that I know of. Intel's did, however, starting with the 865 chipset.

On the board mentioned above, it wouldn't do you any good buying memory that's faster than DDR266.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

If I owned this rig I would be looking for a cheap 512mb stick of used PC2100 DDR266 or PC2700 DDR333 and a full Intel P4 2.8 or 3.06 (Northwood)CPU (note* 533mhz model socket 478)

The extra memory will make a reasonable difference but a full P4 with extra onboard cache and the faster 553fsb will give a massive boost.
The 400fsb Celeron's were notoriously slow, I remember reading a review several years ago where the 2.4 Celeron was beaten soundly by AMD's budget Duron 1600.
You see these used CPU's going for peanuts on ebay, just buy from a seller with good feedback who gaurantee's that it works.

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Iam bit confused
I dont want to invest too much on this PC.So i thought of keeping the 224MB as it is on the PC and buy only 1 gb
and upgrade.Will this cause any compatable issuses.If i UPdate the bios will there be any performance issuses with the PC with 1GB+224MB of memory installed on the PC

jeena143

Forgive us...we are hardware geeks and don't get out a lot [smile].

The bottom line is yes, you can place 1GB stick of RAM in with a 256MB stick, it should be fine. I recently upgraded all of our office PCs (all different, they use DDR266, DDR400, and DDR2400)...and found that anything but the recommended speed MIGHT not be compatible.

So...buy what the maker recommends, and 1GB will coexist w/ 256MB just fine.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I agree with Tony. If you were to add 1GB, that would likely be plenty and work fine. Going over 1GB wouldn't likely show any benefit, as there are other factors like an outdated CPU/motherboard slowing things down.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

The truth is if you are an average user you won't even need an extra 1 gig with XP.
XP takes between 120-200mb to run so with only 256mb installed and some of this powering the onboard graphics, you have practically run out before you've started.
Simply adding another 256mb will take you into the comfort zone with the second 256 always on call for extra applications etc.
Anything more than 512mb (for the average XP user) delivers deminishing returns. Basically more money for little or no gain! thats just a fact!
That is why I said 512mb which will take you to 768mb (minus what the graphics are using) with that you are always going to have loads of memory in reserve.
Everyone seems to have ignored my sugestion about the CPU and yet it offers the biggest performance gain of all.
OK! you may have some concerns about buying second hand but as I say as long as it's D.O.A gauranteed you can't go wrong.
Infact looking at the second user prices I don't think you would be spending much more going this route...perhaps $15-$25 more and you will end up with a much more capable machine.

Also....my other concern would be that a 1gig strip might not be compatible, a 512mb stick of either PC2100 (DDR266)or PC2700 (DDR333)on the other hand would be much more likely to work.
You don't have to worry about the sizes being the same as this is not a dual channel board.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

just a fyi on the memory....
Make sure that what you are buying is compatible with your MB,,, not enough to rely on the "pc2100" etc tag.... (low vs high density chips)

I have seen a 1gb stick using 512 chips not work on a pc, but a 1gb stick using 256 work fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back