Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM UPGRADE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxIllEmpirexX

Technical User
Jun 22, 2003
US
Hey evryone,
I have an xp2200 proccessor in a system i recently built, I also put in a stick of 512 RAM, I just bought another 512 stick but heres where the problem kicks in, they are both PC133 and they both work flawlessly when they are in seperate but hwen together the system says it could not find the ntfs file or something like that, I know my motherboard supports up to 2 gigs of ram , so what could be the problem?

Are both sticks non-ECC? Sometimes trying to mix ECC with non-ECC can cause problems.

Also, do you have Windows managing your virtual memory, or did you set that yourself?

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Also, try puttin gone of the sticks in each ram slot and bootup. Then repeat with the second stick. If all this works then you may have mixed the ECC and NON-ECC.....OR you actually may have a PC-133 and a PC-100 mixed as well.
You should state what your mobo make is also so that we have more details to help you out.

Just as a sidenote, there should be nothing wrong with mixing PC-133 with PC-100 SDRAM. I've done it many times without any problems, although it's not preferred.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Forgot to mention that some people do have problems using PC-133 on motherboards that were meant to use PC-100. Why? It's mainly because many newer PC-133 modules are single-sided and extremely dense. Older motherboards have a hard time reading through the density to detect the correct amount.

If you can't get your hands on double-sided PC-133, you're better off buying PC-100.

In the end however, it appears that since you are running an XP2200 system, chances are that it's not a PC-100 motherboard, so a lot of this conversation is moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back