Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ram test tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

braddds

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
CA
Intel dual 3 gb cpu
Asus P5N motherboard
2 gb ram Ballistix (1 + 1) dual channel
saphire 3650 video
auzentech 7.1 audio card
3 SATA drives (2 x 120 gb and 1 x 250 gb)
Corsair single rail 650 PSU (new)
LG dvd burner
- all compnents are less than 1.5 years old or newer
Winxp pro
all drivers and updates current
no new hardware or software added in last month except updates
clean (no virus or spyware - I run weekly checks and backup's)

My pc blue screened 4 times last night. The blue screens indicated different error codes each time (I'm not at my pc so I don't have any other info). The crash logs provided no info at all. It also blue screened while trying to boot into safemode. I used Hiren's boot disk 9.5 to test ram - one stick at a time. Both passed checks with two of the testers but failed with the other...I think it was gold's - it was the first in the list on the boot disk. Sorry it was late. I tested the hard drives (passed)I also ran Pc-check (Hiren's) and everything passed except the cpu stress test, which instantly failed.

Since I'm getting different failures in systems using various testers is it safe to assume the problem maybe in the motherboard and not the individual components?

Cheers

Do the physical RAM test. Remove one stick and use the PC, if it bluescreens use the other stick in its original socket. Then swap the sticks into different sockets, one at a time. If it bluscreens on all four attempts, it still might be the RAM but highly unlikely that both sticks would fail at the same time. Of course, reset any special RAM timings and/or consult the manufacturer for special settings their RAM may need. You did not mention your RAM's speed.

Look for the name of a file at the end of the STOP:0x00blahblah message. That might indicate a driver problem.

Good RAM tests are available from Microsoft: and memtest86: but they both take a LONG time...and I believe are included with Hiren's. Best of luck.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Actually the Memtest86 version to use is found at use that version because it's free (also it's the one most of the Over Clockers use to test ram prior to starting their OC projects).

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

The Ultimate Boot CD contains several memory tests - the easy way to always have those and many other useful utilities with you.

Thanks all

I couldn't try any tests as the pc now will only boot periodically and then for a few seconds. I don't overclock and I didn't play with the ram settings. I mainly use "auto" in the bios and check everything is correctly set.

I'm leaning more to the motherboard as I don't get any boot error codes (beeps)when nothing happens, ie: it starts but no default beep to let me know it's booting up or that something has failed. The reset button doesn't even work once it stalls...fans work, dvd spins but no hard drive activity or display. Even the keyboard is unresponsive.

From no video display to stalls and reboots there seems to be a common cause, ie: ram, MB or CPU. It's either that or ALL my hardware has failed at the same time. Since I use a battery backup with surge protection and conditioning this seems very unlikely. As I don't have another testbed to trouble shoot the various components I can only replace parts.

I'll probably just get a new MB, but not from ASUS - this appears to be the second dud I've gotten from them and it'll be the last. If that doesn't work I'll continue replacing parts until it works. I know I should start with the ram but I had troubles with my last two MB's (ASUS) and I planned on replacing it anyways!

Again thanks

Cheers

What board is it, you may find that your ram isn't getting enough voltage to it, it's quite normal for the motherboard to be undervolting and all you need to do is find out what voltage the ram needs and setting it in the BIOS.

Simon

I've had this board and ram for over a year and all the setting, ie: timings and voltages were correct when I installed. The MB is the P5N ASUS which supports 1066 ram (which is 1066 also) but I could only get a stable system, when new, by setting the the ram to 800. This is where I've left it since. Voltage for this ram is either 1.8v or 2.1v but as I can't get into the bios long enough to trouble shoot or verify anything. From what little I've seen (bios) everything appears to as I first set it up.

All I know is the timings are correct (autodetect setting) and everything else is set to "auto" which sets the ram to 800. The manual says that the user must set 1066 manually in the bios as it defaults to 800.

Cheers

On a wild chance that it's power-related, can you try a different power supply 1st. Then try removing the motherboard from the case and ONLY connecting the absolute minimum to the motherboard and trying it outside the case.

processor/heatsink, memory, video card (if not integrated), power supply.

That will rule out the power supply and any devices connecting to the motherboard like front USB ports. I saw a machine once that would not POST until I unplugged the front USB cable. So, taking it to anothe level is removing the entire motherboard so that NOTHING can be touching and the minimum is installed.

Make sure to put it on a non-conductive surface - wood, plastic, tile, linoleum.

I took my ram over to a friends place last night and tested it (Hiren'sBoot Disk) on his machine. It passed all test's. I then used his ram in my machine and was able to boot up into windows. I ran various programs and games without any problems. Both his and my ram are identical.

Just for a 'lark' I stuck my ram back in my pc and...yes you guessed it..up she booted into windows. I ran the same programs and games again with incident. I checked the bios and everything was as it should be.

Go figure! What ever it was/is, it seems ok for now. Either this was an isolated issue or it will come back again...I'll wait and see.

Thanks again for all you suggestions and help. If this does return I've still got my old pc kicking around. I'll just move over my drives until I can afford to replace my system.

Cheers

Sounds like thermal creep (where due to power cycling components expand and contract causing once good connections to become flaky, by reseating components it usually fixes things). You see it a lot in old desktops which are on and off every day.

Simon

While Thermal creep could expalin the initial problems. This doesn't explain why I continued to have the same problems after re-inserting the components and ram.

I still think that there is a problem and it may be intermitent in nature. If so, it will eventually fail outright and then I get to do the whole procedure all over again :0

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back