Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ju1c3

MIS
Apr 3, 2007
US
how large of a difference would i see in going from 667mhz pc5300 to 800mhz pc6400? i currently have a gig in a laptop i just got this week and want to go to 2 gigs. the 2 gigs of 5300 cost $60 and the 6400 cost $100 for 2gb. is there a large enough difference in the speed to justify the extra $40?

i have a hp 6510b business notebook.

thanks

Take a look at the specs of the laptop and see what the bus speed is. If it is 600 Mhz then changing memory speed is just a waste of money. However, increasing the volume of memory will help the overall speed of the machine.

David.

OK, there are several things going on here:
1)The Data Bus Speed on your motherboard is 800mhz so installing 800mhz memory will help it run optimally with best performance.
2)I'm presuming with such a new laptop that it is running Vista? and if so there is a general consensous that 2gig provides a marked improvement over one gig (This does not apply to XP however)
3)Last but not least....from what I can deduce this laptop comes with a single 1gig memory module from new? so fitting a matched pair will also bring the added benefit of running in dual channel memory mode.
All the above will add up to a reasonable overall improvement in performance and considering how cheap memory is at the moment I believe this is a worthwhile upgrade.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

All good advice but the original question was "is there a large enough difference in the speed (between pc5300 and pc6400)to justify the extra $40?"

I would say that the difference you'd notice in day-to-day use would be extremely small, but if $40 isn't a lot of money to you then go for the faster memory. It'll be faster, just not by a lot.

Regards

Nelviticus

paparazi is indeed correct about FSB (Front side bus) speed and your RAM speed; you want the ratio between the two to be as close to 1:1 as possible, so there is no bottle neck in the system.

However, this is really only important to a power user or developer (i.e. Gamer, Video/Photo editor, Graphics rendering) If you're just doing day-to-day word processing, surfing, and general business keeping RAM at 667mhz/pc5300 would work just fine.

well, i program, game, and do IT work from my computer.

I am running vista, but contrary to belief, vista will run just fine on 1gb if you tweak it. its what i was running before.

This has 2x512 modules.

i bought the pc6400, but im pissed now because i just discovered that the centrino duo is a x64 chip and i would have bought 4gb instead. oh well.

Everything new is X64 infact everything in the last 2 years has had X64 architecture, going back to AMD 754's and most CeleronD 775's and they have been around for ages.
All capable of running 64bit OS.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back