Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ram speed problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

blasted

Technical User
Nov 19, 2003
GB
I have recently bought a asus a7v600 motherboard and a athlon xp2800+ chip (barton) and 512 333mhz kingston ddr ram (single stick)

When i set up in bios i select the default setting, it causes the computer to crash. I have to set the ram speed to 266 and disable the level two cashe for it to work. If i enable either one of the cashe or memory speed it will also crash.

Any ideas as to what it could be. It does work ok on the slower setting.

In the bios it should read as 166 which equates to 333 (equal to the Barton core) this is because the DDRram doubles to (166 x 2= 333)
If this is the case you have been fairly heavily overclocking the CPU, hence the reason it crashes and won't run with cache enabled.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Ahhh,

I shall go and give it a whirl, mind you it was running set at 266 and no level two cashe. It didnt like the auto setting.

i shall let you know either way

thanks
ben

It can get confusing but let me further ellaborate by saying in the bios (Advanced Chipset Features) you should see the front side bus frequency, which should be set to 166 for your CPU and memory frequency which should also be set the same at 166
You should also have an extra line which says "resulting frequency" which should be 333mhz.
At these settings everything is running at standard default for your rig so should result in the XP2.8+ running at stock 2.08mhz

Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Apparently the cpu that i was sold was not supposed to be on the market. It was a special one created for a job lot of motherboards, that is it is motherboard specific. That means the standard boards dont recognise it correctly, somthing to do with that pesky bios again.

Also i was under the impression that it was a barton core, it was infact a thourough bred core, which has a level 2 casche of 256K, where as the barton has a level 2 of 512K. This is what was causing the problems.

I have bought a new cpu and when i get some paste i will be dropping it in and giving it a thrashing.

As for the bios ram speed settings mentioned earlier, it only allows you to selct auto,266,333 or 400. It does all the other bits for you.

Let this be a lesson top people who buy stuff from computer fairs.

I would also like to say that the tech support people at amd were incredably helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back