Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispr

Technical User
May 24, 2004
CA
I have an MSI k8t Neo board running an AMD 64 3000+ processor which is fine. I downloaded CPU-z and I went over to the SPD table and checked my memory which is in slot #3. It says that I have PC3200(200 Mhz) RAM!!! It should read PC3200 (400 Mhz) to my knowledge because the FSB of my board is set to 200 Mhz and I think that DDR RAM runs at twice the FSB so the maximum my board can support is PC3200 DDR400, and nothing higher like PC3500. Is there something wrong that I am thinking about or is there something messed up with my timings or an option I have to change in the BIOS to get my memory to run at the correct speed. I don't know much about timings and stuff but they are currently 2.5-3-3-8. Any help is appreciated.

The memory is correct. The motherboard doubles (DDR) the effective rate (200 = 400).

Think of the FSB as the path between the CPU and motherboard chipset. This runs at 200MHz. Now memory has its own bus (path between memory and chipset) and internal clock. Both work with twice as much data per clock cycle as the FSB, essentially doubling the performance. That's how they get the "400MHz" rating. We all know that a true 400MHz bus is better than a double-pumped 200MHz one, but double-pumped is better than nothing.

So as long as the memory registers as PC3200, then the internal speed is correct. The "DDR effect" might be obscure and ill-defined in the BIOS, but rest assured that it's there in full swing.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Thanks for the clarification guys. Good to know that everything is working the way it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back