Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon80FLT

Technical User
Jan 16, 2001
US
OK, I just want to get your opinions here. I think I know the answer, but I could be wrong.

I have a PII-266 MOBO. I just got a 128Meg/100Mhz DIMM to upgrade.

The guy at Fry's told me I will have problems with the RAM because it is 100Mhz and my bus speed is 66MHz. He said I needed to get the 66MHz DIMM, that was going to cost $30 more. He said you can't "underclock" chips.

I'm of the opinion that any chip will run slower than it's rated speed without any problems... am I wrong?

This guy really seemed to believe I will have a problem.

No problem yet after a 24hour burn-in.

Thanks,
Jon

The guy at Fry's needs a basic lesson in PC repair.
The PC100 chip will easily run at 66mhz (or anywhere in between, possibly even faster).
Put it in, and see if it works.
99% of the time, there's no problem.
Caveat: On some systems, they wont' work...notably some PB's, some HP's, some Compaq's and a few IBM's.
Double check the website of your motherboard mfg to see for sure. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

AS ABOVE, it should work. The only problem you might run into is compatibility with any other ram already installed. Doesn't happen often, only way to find out is try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back