Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM QUESTION.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagwire

Technical User
Feb 6, 2003
US
I am fixing to buy more ram. I know alot but not a lot :)
What is Standard, Low, and High density ram.
Just wonder if someone can brief me on the sub.
Thanks

The most important missing information is what computer motherboard you have, and what RAM it will take.
You will also need to know how many slots on the board you have free, so you can answer the adding ram/replacing ram question.

Go here and have a read....very good website.
Post if you want or need anything else.

Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

As Kimber notes, you will do well to research your system's requirements and capabilities. If you don't have the docs that came with the PC, research your mobo/chipset on the internet. Among other considerations, be sure to determine the TAG RAM specs for your motherboard. This is the amount of RAM that the chipset can cache. Adding more RAM than this value may actually slow things down, not the effect you're hoping for. You'll also need to determine the type and speed of RAM your system supports, then check to see what's currently installed. You can then decide whether to add more RAM via an open slot or whether you need to buy new RAM. If you replace your memory, check to see if your system board will support faster RAM than currently installed (PC133 instead of PC100, for example). Keep in mind that taking advantage of faster RAM may require a change in jumpers or BIOS settings. Hope this is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back