Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ram problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

derketa

Programmer
May 13, 2002
TR
Hi,
I have a p2 with Asus P2B 440BX motherboard. I bougth 2x256MB SD 100Mhz ram and tried them. (removing old ones)

They worked as 128 both separately. Then i tried other rams,they all showed the half value.

Then i updated the BIOS, but could not solve the problem.
Can anyone help me about that?

thanks.

You may be experiencing a situation such as happens with Soyo motherboards. Check with your motherboard manufacturer to see if this is the case. Here is Soyo's explanation for your problem:

"My memory is only being recognized as half size.
"To resolve this issue:

"There are number of different memory types available in the market, some of the most popular memory types are based on 4 bit, 8 bit, 16 bit, and 32 bit design for the memory modules. SOYO motherboards (unless specified otherwise) can only recognize 8 bit memory modules. If a 4 bit memory(also known as high density memory) is placed on the board the system will only be able to recognize half the memory. for example if a 512MB high-density(4 bit) memory is placed on a board that does not support that memory. the memory will only read as 256MB. If you are experiencing such problems, please contact the memory manufacturer for the specs on your memory module to make sure it is 8 bit memory.

Many earlier chipsets had slot limits of 128MB (hence, half the value you're seeing). Verify with your mobo specs the max value each slot can take.

Also, many newer PC100 and PC133 modules are "single-sided". When you get into the larger amounts greater of 256MB or more, density becomes high. Older motherboards have a harder time reading the correct amount, and it's often recommended that you use dual-sided modules instead.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back