Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM not properly recognized on Compac

Status
Not open for further replies.

intrepide

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
CA
Got a Compac 250Mhz c/w XP F/E and it came original with 60Mhz of ram. Bought 2 strips of 128, installed them in this order; 128, 128, 60 and the darn thing failed to start. Reversed the order and had only one strip of 128 in. It started but recognized only 84mhz total. What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks for the reply(s)

Sorry, got a typo in there should read 84Mb not 84Mhz.

What's the max amount of RAM that the system can recognize?

Is the new RAM identical to the existing RAM, except for the size?

Did you purchase it from a reliable supplier, like Crucial, Mushkin, Kingston, or Corsair?

Did you try inserting just a single 128 MB module, or the 2-128 MB modules in different slots?

Can you tell us the EXACT model Compaq PC you have? The original memory is a 64MB DIMM but 4 MB is being allocated to the Graphics - hence only 60MB available to Windows.

Compaq PCs are notorious for requiring the correct memory: without the exact model it is almost impossible to advise what memory you need.

Regards: tf1

when you say it will not restart does the pc boot but no output to the monitor?

I'm only asking as I have had a few problems with memory recently.

Thanks for your help

Compaq is very proprietary. Good Luck. If you buy equipment for a compaq make the seller guarantee it will work with your model. If they cant, then dont buy it. I have had good luck with Micron and Crucial RAM. has a web page where you enter your manufacturer and model and they tell you what will work.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Thank you all 4 the replys !!!

Had to leave for the week but I will be back on the week-end and I will get back to you with the answers to your questions.

Thanks again !!!

Intrepide

Turns out that the first set of RAM purchased was zapped. The second one was fine but PC is using an older BIOS version that doesn't see all of the RAM. Nero Burning info tool is showing proper amout of RAM installed. By the way, BIOS cannot be updated on that perticular model.(Compaq 5304)

Thanks to all of you for your time.

Intrepide

Typical Compaq, Very fussy on memory type and make.
I dought any bios flash would enable memory to be properly detected, this is just a case of using Compaq's own or a supplier who can gaurantee compatibility (crucial etc)
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back