Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM Module 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undersedated

Vendor
Mar 14, 2004
US
I just bought some ram from a local store, and they told me that it was 512 mb of DDR 2700 ram. The price matched that of Crucial's website, and everything looked fine.

Lo and Behold, when i get home to my computer, under "My Computer" it says i only have 384 mb. There is only 1 stick of ram in the computer. I dont think they even make single 384 mb sticks. Any idea why the computer would say this, or did i get cheated out of my money...?

More likely that the module isn't compatible with your motherboard, or it is defective. Any other memory installed? What is the Crucial part number, and make and model of your motherboard?

It could possibly be the max amount your motherboard will support per slot. However, most newer boards that support DDR SDRAM normally support 512MB or 1GB per slot. So, I doubt it's the case, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

The other possibility of course is that the RAM module just isn't compatible with your mobo. Many generic and "house" brands out there haven't been tested thoroughly in various environments, thus passing the savings onto your wallet. In the future, make sure you go with a name brand or buy from a vendor who carries a good return policy.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

What mobo do you have? Sounds like you have 128k built in and the system is recognizing only 256k of the new mem. Pull the new stick out and see if it will boot without it.

The Motherboard i am using is a AMD board, called a M7NCG 400. It is brand new, and from what i know it should support up to 2gigs of ram.

There are 3 ram slots, so its hard to believe that 1 slot would only hold 384 mb? But maybe so...?

You have onboard video (INTEGRATED VIDEO
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX GPU(Graphics Processing Unit) with up to 128MB Frame Buffer). This could be "sharing" memory. 512-128=384

Clever,Mr. micker!
You can change the amount of shared memory in the bios!

Hallaluyah!
I was wondering when someone was going to spot the shared onboard video (GF4MX440) (and no, i havn't been around)
Depends on usage but if you do play a few games then I would leave it at 128mb or 64mb minimum, otherwise you can take it right down to the lowest setting (8 or 16mb)
Having said that, 384mb is sufficient for most tasks with XP.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back