Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM for Dell Inspiron 2200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispr

Technical User
May 24, 2004
CA
I'm thinking about upgrading the RAM in my laptop, so I downloaded CPUZ to verify the type of RAM and I found something quite odd. The BIOS says I have 512 Mb of RAM, and that is what Windows detects, as well as CPUZ. However, when I click under spd and look in slot 1, it says there is 256 Mb of PC2700 in this slot, and under slot 2 it shows there is no RAM. I know the RAM is 2 DIMM, with 256 Mb supposidly in each slot. I took the cover off where the RAM is and I can only see ond stick with a 256 Mb sticker on it, the place where the other stick is supposed to be is covered by a metal plate that is part of the laptop case (or its attached to the motherboard). In any event, that metal plate isn't coming off unless I take the whole laptop apart. This is quite bewildering to me, I have seen pictures of Dell laptops like the 5500, and when the plate is off, there is two sticks of SO-DIMM RAM, just like there is supposed to be. Anybody have any ideas about his?

You will find that there is 256MB on the motherboard underneath the metal p[late you mentioned. This memory will not be removable, and you should not attempt to remove the metal plate without risking permanent damage to your laptop.

In addition to this, there is a single SODIMM slot for upgrading the memory.

The reason for the large cover and the metal plate on your laptop, is that the plastic casings are used on a number of inspiron models, and the space is required for a higher spec machine.

For further information, please see under appendix, specifications, memory. (Note, this is a 19MB PDF document, so unless you have fast internet acces, it will take some time to download.)

=======================================
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum
======================================

You may have 256mb soldered to the Motherboard (default config) and an additional 256mb in the add on slot. I've seen this on a few laptops. What's the maximum memory configuration for the 2200?

Ken

1280MB (i.e. 1024 in the slot, and 256 on board!)

=======================================
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum
======================================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back