Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raising Max SFM volume size reported

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanst

Technical User
Feb 14, 2002
GB
We have an NT 4.0 server with volumes created by Macfile/Winfile, the user has OS 9.1 the volume size reported is 1.97GB I want to raise this as high as possible. I have tried to follow the Microsoft Knowledge base article 120739,but had no luck, although I could see the volume on a PC it disappeared from the Mac. Help!

You need to enable "MacFile"
on a NTFS volume on your WinNT box to be able to present AppleShare folders to your Apple Machines. This marks that folder or entire volume as holding those Forked Files ;) that Mac uses. (aside - NTFS is capable of using that kind of file natively....

A registry flag controls the maximum volume size and free space reported by the Services for Macintosh (SFM) file server. Since System 7.5 now allows Macintoshes to support volumes up to 4GB-1 (0xFFFFFFFF), administrators may want to use this flag to help Macintosh clients if all clients are running System 7.5 and the SFM volume resides on a disk partition greater than 2018MB.
MORE INFORMATION
Pre-System 7.5 Macintoshes support volume sizes up to 2GB-1 (although tests have shown the actual limit to be around 2018MB). Because of this, SFM restricts the values it reports for total and free space on SFM volumes to 2018MB, when the actual size of the SFM volume's disk partition is larger.

System 7.5 can handle volumes up to 4GB-1, and you may find it useful to raise the maximum values reported for SFM volumes to this new limit.

WARNING: ALL Macs connected to the volume must be System 7.5; reporting a volume size greater than 2GB-1 to a pre-System 7.5 Macintosh crashes Macintosh Finder.

You can raise the maximum reported size for SFM volumes to 4GB-256 (0xFFFFFF00) by creating the SFM volume, then editing the registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\System\CurrentControlSet\Services \MacFile\Parameters\Volumes\<VolumeName>

Properties=xxxxx

by adding 262144 (0x00040000) to the number xxxxx.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT to correct them. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.

Stop and restart Macfile to make this change take effect on the SFM volume.

In Windows NT 3.51 you can change this value globally for all volumes. To do this, add bit 0x10 to the following section of the registry and every volume will be 4GB enabled:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MacFile\Parameters ServerOptions: REG_DWORD: 0x13

NOTE: The ServerOptions value has a default value of 0x03, after adding 0x10 to 0x03 the result becomes 0x13. After making this change every volume will be 4GB enabled.

I have followed all the instructions and have been into the registry editor. A fter Properties= there is 33 32 37 36 38 I added 32 36 32 31 34 34. I am not sure whether this is right but the volume then could not bee seen by a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back