Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rain software? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

renajb

Technical User
Oct 1, 2001
US
I'm having a problem with my computer, and someone suggested that it might be a cooling problem. I use to have a program installed on my old computer call "Rain" that seemed to kind of help cool it. Has anyone had any experience with this, and know where I can download it again? Is there something else out there that is better at keeping the computer cool? Also, I have never understood how a software program can cool a computer, would someone explain this to me. Thanks. ;-)

Yea, i used that at one time....it screwed my comp up every time i used it. If you are worried about your CPU temp, i dunno if a software program would work. Just get another fan or a better heat sink.

I used rain before with no problems. It did lower the cpu temp a few degrees based on unscientific monitoring. My understanding is that it tells the cpu to idle when it is not being used, even between keystrokes. This supposedly reduces cpu cycles and therefore heat. I would say that the best way to go though would be a really good heatsink and fan. If you want rain I think I have it someplace on disk. I can send it to you if you want it, email me at tektips@jchalme.mailshell.com and I will forward it.

I used rain before with no problems. It did lower the cpu temp a few degrees based on unscientific monitoring. My understanding is that it tells the cpu to idle when it is not being used, even between keystrokes. This supposedly reduces cpu cycles and therefore heat. I would say that the best way to go though would be a really good heatsink and fan. If you want rain I think I have it someplace on disk. I can send it to you if you want it, email me at tektipsATjchalmeDOTmailshellDOTcom and I will forward it.

Can you tell me what you mean by a heatsink? I cut a hole in the back of my cabinet and installed a 3 in fan there to blow air into my computer fan. Is there something else I can do that would be better? Should the fan I installed be blowing air in, or should I reverse it and have it be sucking the air out? Thanks for any suggestions.

A heatsink is a piece of metal, usually aluminum or copper, that has fins on it. It is attached to the cpu die with a thermal paste and retaining clip. It acts to pull heat out of the processor so it does not over heat. You will have a fan attached to the heat sink to blow the heat away from the heat sink. Typically fans on the front of your case blow air in and fans on the back of the case blow air out. You may want to reverse them as it is more important to blow hot air out than to blow room air in. I just got a coolermaster fan and heat sink for my duron 1ghz from for 8 bucks so they are not too expensive.

Thanks for your help. If I can bother you more I have a few more questions. So if I took my computer apart, the heatsink would be attached to the fan closest to the CPU? Can I upgrade my heatsink for a bigger and better one? Also, you mentioned a fan on the front of the computer, I can't seem to find one on mine, only in the back. My computer is a HP xl866, 1.1ghz, 128mg, and alittle over a year old. Would the heatsink on this be good enough, or can you always improve? Thanks for all your help.

The heatsink will be located directly atop the cpu with a fan attached to it. Normally the heatsink comes paired with the fan so if you upgrade one the other gets changed too. Unless you are overclocking your cpu the stock heatsink and fan should be plenty adequate. One thing to ensure is that you keep the inside of the computer dust free. The components, including cpu, heatsink and fan have a tendancy to attract tons of dust which can lead to overheating. A simple can of air used once a month or so will keep it clean. Not every computer will come with a case fan in front. However, there may be a location in the front to attach one. If you do end up mounting a front case fan it is a good idea to use filters with the fan to trap the dust. Startech.com makes some that fit most case fans perfectly and you can get them at for $2.50 each. Also if these filters do not fit, like my Antec case that has snap-in locations for case fans, you can use the filter material from common furnace filters. Just make sure you keep the filters cleaned so however you attach them, be sure you can routinely remove them for cleaning.

When I clean my computer, do I need to remove the case to clean the inside or can I just spray the air in the back and front openings?

You want to open the case up otherwise it won't get cleaned very well. Also spray into the power supply with the canned air so that it blows the dust out of that too, make sure you do it so the dust goes out the fan vent on the back of your computer and not into the inside of the case. I heard of one instance before where someone's computer that had worked well for years stopped working. They brought it in for a tech guy to fix and when he opened the case he actually found mold growing inside the computer. That is an extreme case but shows the importance of regularly opening the computer up and blowing the dust out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back