Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rain effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardMartinIII

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
I have a still image and I'd like to make it look as if rain's sluicing across the scene.

When I used Premiere for this sort of effect, I'd make a couple of different 'slanted-lines' slides, with alpha channels and slide them across. Three or more made the rain seem fairly random. But with After Effects, I have even more opportunities to look silly.

I was thinking using the particle playground with a huge mouth up off-screen, shooting a high density of grey particles diagonally across the frame very rapidly.

And actually, I'll have different levels of rain because there are different depths to this image. So, there's a way-distant background image of a mountain, then a bunch of rain, then a foreground of people looking at the mountain with a big alpha channel mask around 'em, then a little more rain, then me. I figure I'd be doing a couple layers of particle playground for this.

Does anyone else have a better idea?

curious,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Like Lovecraft? Know Photoshop? Got time for the Unspeakable?

there is a rain plug-in. Studio effects...final effects... not sure the vendor, but do a search.

Yeah, that's how I found the last one.

Generally now when I want rain, I use Particle Playground. Makes for long render times, but the effect is nice. Same for snow, a hail of spears, cats, whatever.

I try to find ways to make my existing tools to the job, rather than strapping on a bunch of plug-ins.

Now in some cases, there are plug-ins that are fabulously handy. When I'm building starscapes, I prefer using Flaming Pear's glitterato, lunarcell, and solarcell plug-ins. Those are just terrific (I only wish I could use them in After Effects and animate those components!

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

I am so with you on Glitterado and Flaming Pear. You can animate lunarcell to a degree... you can export a Photoshop image with Lunarcell as a flat texture, then wrap it around a sphere in some 3D program. Combined with KPT6 lens flare, Ive made great starscapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back