Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rails - removing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginoitalo

Programmer
Feb 15, 2003
CA
I have a few 3U servers that are on a 4 post rack. the rails allow the server to slide out and lock in place.

Question is:

How do I get the server off the rails ?

pressing the clips on the side of the rails only allow the server to slide back in from the lock position.

You need to remove the rail-to-system screws to do so. However please use the knobs ( which comes with rack mounting kit ) before removing the screws.
I would suggest to use the rack mounting installation guide of the specific model. There should be a session for the Installation on rail assembly. That would give you a clear idea how it was installed on the rack. Also refer the safety guides before the activity.

Also, I've found that (depending on the size/model/style) there can be small blue/purple tabs on the top-side of the rail that allow the tabs of the server to dis-engage from the rails. Of course, as HarryNair mentioned, using the knobs is super important, as dropping a server from mid-rack to floor would be bad for both server and toes. :)

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back