Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID1 switched to JBOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2011
US
Hi,
I think I need an expert here. I have a SATA 2x 640GB RAID1 on my PC and it has been working fine for a couple of years. Suddenly now I am getting a critical error on boot and when I open the RAID facility and look at the LD it shows 2 disks - one as JBOD on LD 1-1, and the other as critical RAID on LD 2-2. I am not sure what steps to take to not lose data and 'recreate/rebuild' this RAID1. I am sure I will need to provide more info and will be happy to do so.
Thanks!!

Also - FYI, per Belarc, Disk 0 is my C drive and Disk 1 is now the F drive. Both show up as healthy and active in Disk Mgmt. It is like the RAID array 'unlinked'. I had no warnings at all of any impending drive failure, so I am wondering if it actually failed or if there is a way to relink them (recreate the RAID array).
Thanks!

Hi all,
I dug some more and found something odd. When I booted up last time and went into the RAID fast-build utility provided with the AMD chipset, I selected option 4 which was to view the controller configuration. It indicated it was on IRQ11, and said ‘AHCI HBA MMIO Base Address FE02F000’.
When I checked the AMD AHCI Raid controller under device manager, it said it was on IRQ 22, and could not be changed. Now that doesn’t seem right. How can the Raid Utility report the controller as IRQ11, but device manager report the controller to be on IRQ22?

Disk 0 (now C: drive) is on SATA port4 and Disk 1 (now the F: drive) is on SATA port 5. In the BIOS both are set to SATA TYPE as opposed to IDE. The Onchip Sata Type in the BIOS for the other ports is set to RAID (not IDE or AHCI), and On Chip RAID is enabled. Like I said this has been working for a couple of years.

It's hard to advise you without being there and touching/seeing things, but I would say absolutely number one thing to do is get a backup of any data that is important.

Then, and only then, you should start playing with things. You could try getting another similar disk, pulling the F: drive out and trying to do a "re-mirror" command in the RAID setup. However, if the RAID doesn't think it's a RAID set any more, there's nothing to re-mirror - it has lost it's configuration.

I wouldn't worry about the IRQ stuff. You're kind of in a delicate situation where anything you might attempt could be the end of the data and/or O.S.

It's almost better to do a planned reload with the beginning of it being a backup and then a reconfiguration of the RAID. Check for RAID driver updates, RAID firmware updates + a BIOS update for the PC before re-doing everything.

Hi,
Sounds like good advice. Actually, the first thing I did was make an image(not sector-by-sector as most of the disk is empty) with Acronis. I thought that way if I mucked it up, I could just reimage the one drive and then recreate the array.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back