Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID0 and RAID1...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rirusstek2

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
US
I just installed two 640GB identical drives setup as RAID.

I set 300GB as RAID0 as to have Windows 7 and a WORK disc.

I set 446GB as RAID1 on the rest of the HDs.

My question would be... In an event that one of the two 640GB drives failed would I be able to retrive the information that would be on the RAID1 HDs, the one that didn't fail?

#1 - Yes, this SHOULD work, but I don't think it's a good method. The reason is you might forget which is what at some point, and end up messing something up. I'd stick with one or the other, as far as the BIOS RAID/non-RAID settings.

#2 - Yes, as everything is right now, I would think you'll be perfectly okay doing this... BUT...

Here's what I'm sort of thinking... if the RAID designation on the main SATA ports is causing issues with the WinXP installation, you may can just move it to the other SATA port group, and see if it'll boot there... you'll still need different SATA chipset drivers installed, I suppose, but it'd be worth a shot just to see..

And yet another possibility is if you're really sure you want to keep the XP installation on the RAID setup, you could try setting it up as a RAID 0 of only one disk - if the controller will allow that, and then do a repair install of Windows XP (just make sure you select the XP drive, not the win7 drive.. :0).. and be sure to have your SATA RAID drivers handy on a floppy disk (or slipstream the SATA RAID drivers to the XP cd before the repair install).

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back