Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseusa

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2007
US
i never configure any kind of RAID. i want get some experince and knowledge for this. Can you guys help me for this, also i have few questions...

which RAID is for what kind of work...?
how many HDD i need for RAID....?
how to configure with physicaly and how with software ...?
is it ok if i have different size of HDD....?
is it also possible if lets say i have 1TB HDD, if i make different partions and just put in RAIS these partions...?
and how data is save if some thing happened to any one disk...?

sorry for any stupid question... as i mentioned i never did this before and i want to learn...

Thanks

Now now... everyone grab a beer, or two...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

roseusa

I noticed that there are about 14 forums covering Disks and RAID and would suggest you take a look to see if one meets your hardware specs. If yes, you may get a more comprehensive answer to any one of your questions.

Not that we don't like you here on this forum!!

Click "Forum List" scroll down to "Storage: Disk,RAID
(it's about 3/4 down the list)

sam

more questions.

1. do we install OS on Raid or OS is on different HDD and Raid is for Data Storage.

2. Is it also possible if i have multi Boot (XP-Vista-2k Server) on one HDD on different partions or 3-differen HDD (each for seoerate OS) and then can we use or (MAP) same Raid with all OS....?

Forgive me for any stupid question, but i am learning this and i did not get any info from net.

1. do we install OS on Raid or OS is on different HDD and Raid is for Data Storage.
You can, on a hardware controlled RAID... but I would only do this on a RAID 1 or 5 scenario, due to the fact that there is redundancy... but it is usually not needed, if you backup the system drive on a scheduled basis, e.g. once a week image the system drive to an external drive...

can we use or (MAP) same Raid with all OS....?
Yes, as each RAID behaves as a single drive... depending on the use of the PC, the safest thing you could do would be to use 3 different drives, for three different OS's, if one drive should give, you'd only loose one OS not three...

PS: the above is my opinion and by no means a guideline...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back