Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID with Hs HDD with different rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrynliew

Vendor
Jul 24, 2002
BN
Hi! All,

Will like to have some advise if I could do a RAID 1 with two 18.2GB Hot-swap Hard Disk Drive but with different RPM. 10k and 7.2k rpm.

Look forward for response. Thank you in advance.

In theory the Raid controller will not care about the speeds of the drives, you can for example build a raid config with 18gb 10k disks and 36gb 15k disks , the only limiltation is that it will only use 18gb of the 36gb.

I do not agree

Since I have been in the industry most RAID controller manufacturers do NOT recommend install different spindle spee drives on the same channel.

Adaptec, LSO Logic...old Mylex....and so on...

I have seen issues with both Mylex old school controllers and new LSI one's when mixing drive speeds.

Regards
Bernard

I concur with Bernard. Although it may be theoretically possible, from a planning standpoint (assuming you haven't done this yet), it's a bad idea.

Hi! Guys,

Thank you for your kind advise.
How I wish to read this earlier. I had tried the installation with different rpm HDDD and it doesn't work.

FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back