Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID setup on Gigabyte 7DXR

Status
Not open for further replies.

biker900

MIS
Jul 17, 2001
AU
I have tried to setup a RAID array using 2 Quantum 6.4Gb drives on a Gigabyte 7DXR mboard. Each drive is set as master on it's own channel (cable)on the RAID connectors. I have changed the jumper on the board to RAID (JP54) and set boot options in BIOS to boot from RAID. According to the manual, when I first boot up I should get the FASTBUILD Bios screen to set up/configure the array. Nothing happens, it goes into normal boot mode and tells me there are no bootable devices. Have used BIOS ver F9 and F10a Beta. What am I doing wrong?? Any ideas please.

Not sure about your board specifically but on mine (Asus) there is an option in the bios to autoload the promise fastrak100 onboard raid bios which configures the array. If this is not enabled it will go past it to look for a regular boot drive. There is another bios option to boot from scsi or ata and this has to be set to scsi as well. let me know if this helps.... If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

The raid shows up as a SCSI on the Boot menu in Bios. Enable that as the first boot device. Zero Mistakes = Zero Experience
And Boy do I have experience !

To : Biker900

Hi,

I have read carefully your problem and I would like to suggest the following:
1. Enter your BIOS SetUp and enable the switch
RAID instead of ATA or SCSI
2. Another key combination used to enter the FastTrack100 Utility is the CTRL plus F
3. Most important of all if you have been using your PC for very long time, it could be possible that the RAID FastTrack100 Utility is included in a Floppy disk given to you with the rest PC Accessories. Search around for that floppy. If you find it you need to inserted in the drive before you define your HDDs in a RAID0 or RAID1 Array.
I wish you good luck.

Ihave one of these boards but have not taken the time to play around with the raid fuction as of yet but , you have 2 sets of jumpers to set to use the raid fuction.

you have to enable JP52 and you need to set the jumper JP54 to raid mode.
Don't quote me on this but I think you will have to have all your drives you want in the array on Ide 3&4 , you will have to change one of the drives to a slave , one that will share the same channel.
after you get past the hardware setup ( this is accessed by pressing the ctrl key and F ) you then will be able to install the drivers in you os . They should be on your driver disk.
If you don't have a manual download one from

Thank you to all who replied. I have finally managed to get the RAID working and have set to STRIPE ARRAY but have encountered another problem:

When I load Windows XP, and it asks to press F6 to load a driver, I insert the diskette containg the Fasttrak.sys driver from Gigabyte. An error message occurs stating

"File \WinXP\fasttrak.sys caused an unexpected error
in d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c
Press any key to continue"

When I continue, the RAID array is not recognised and PC reports no IDE drives installed.

Can any one help again please?

Are the drivers you are using specifically for winxp? If not there may be some updated ones on their website. If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

I had a similar problem a few days ago. When the drivers did eventually go through though it recognised the drives as 2 40gb rather than 1 80gb.

What I did for my board (GA-8INXP) was to download the drivers from the website ( and copy across all the relevant files ontop of the existing ones on the disk it came with (make a copy and use that disk).

The drivers I downloaded were 5mb and far too big to fit on a floppy, so I copied the winxp folder along with all the root files across. This should overwrite the existing ones and allow you to choose from an XP MBRaid driver.

Thanks again for the replies. I have downloaded another copy of the drivers from the Gigabyte website and now it's working perfectly. Apparently the original download was corrupted and therefore drivers did not work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back