Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID problems.... 40 GB + 40 GB = 60GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

boogio

Technical User
Dec 14, 2001
NO
Igot 2maxtor disk`40gb and when i run raid i only get 63Gb space. the problem appers allready when i run fdisk.
I tryed 2 times to install windows but it do`nt get any better.

AMD 1400@1568
Abit KG7-Raid

please help...

Which type of RAID are you configuring it for?

What are you using to configure the array? I'm assuming the RAID controller is built into your motherboard. Have you considered upgrading the BIOS? Maybe it's too old to handle the large size of the combined drives.

What OS are you running, and what boot disc are you using? In the past I've run into win98
maxing out at 60gig, Me at 80gig, 2000/xp unlimted. I'm running a 240gig raid0 running XP. Motorcycles@computers are the main stay of life rafales@alltel.net

win98 and the bios sofware is the newest released from abit
the bios is ssopose to suport over XXXGB

maxtor dont have jumper behind the harddisk to adjust sylinders and so òn.

the bios got to have autodetekt

The current IDE interface supports up to 137GB. A RAID controller bypasses this limitation, so the BIOS or OS shouldn't be the problem.

Have you ensured the controller has been configured properly?

cdogg,
What is your source of information that the "current IDE interface supports up to 137GB?" I have never heard of any limitation strictly due to the interface. The only limitations I know of are from the BIOS or file system.

Read it in Maximum PC September 2001 issue, and there's a response about it in the October 2001 issue in the "In/Out" section. Also read info at other websites I've visited. Sorry, I didn't save a link, but you should be able to search for some using Google or Yahoo.

The 137 GB limitation has something to do with the way the IDE controller deals with addressing. I can't remember if the limitation applies to total hard drive space across "several drives" or across a "single" drive.

Let me see if I can dig up that article and I'll post back later...

I Can`t configured my raid bios so much
I can only select striping0 ,mirror1, span? ,1+0
and create raid,delete raid....
still having problems with my harddrives.
do you know anything that can help me?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back