Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyphonX

Technical User
Sep 6, 2004
CA

Specs:

Asus P4C800 deluxe motherboard
2 x 200GB 7200rpm 8mb WD Sata Drives
60 gb wd ise hard drive

My 60 gb hard drive contains my windows OS, while I use the the 2 200 gig hard drives configured in a raid (striping) for storage.

I just recently moved, and my computer was working fine. Now, recently I lightly bumped one of the wires at the back of my computer (not sure which one...may have been the power chord) and my computer just rebooted. I thought it was quite strange, but didnt think too much about it.

ow, what I would like to know is, is it my raid controller that is messed up? I dont think its my power supply because I tried disconnecting a few things when I booted up to no avail.

Furthermore, if it is my raid driver, I'd really liket o save the stuff on my drives...400 gigs is alot stuff =/. Is htere a way to salvage the stuff on there? Windows detects them as raw drives, but oddly enough, it detects them as 2 drives the same size as had them partitiones...60 gigs and 340 gigs, not as 2 200 gig drives.

whew...I apologize for the long post, and I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

I am not familiar with the intel chipset but it should be similar to the NVidia NForce as far as function.

You might have a CD or can download the tools for the RAID controller/arrays. There is a separate BIOS for the controller usually accessible during boot up with a prompt to press?? to enter. I would investigate trying to re-enable the array without allowing any reformat etc. Just to see if the controller will recognize the volumes as part of an array that it once controlled.

Data recovery from RAID 0 is not very good as the data does not exist on one drive, but is pieced off to the drives i the Array.

Being too anal to run RAID 0 for any data storage, I have no experience to lend to you about the recovery. Maybe another has attempted this.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

I tried re-enabling the array in the bios to no avail...It recognizes the array, but it detects one drive or the other as being disconnected or failed.

I don't see how bumping a wire would cause a reboot unless it was power, mst have been quite a whack, even then not something that could damage a RAID array unless it was external or mid-write. What type of RAID were you running?

I think the above post was referring to the RAID BIOS inside the main BIOS, for example "Press F4 for options" etc. when your RAID controller is started in BIOS. Get in there and see if there is a "repair" or "rebuild" option for the array if it's a RAID 0. If it's JBOD check out

Seeing that yours is a common chipset a Data Recovery Service might be able to help, but plan of $500+.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back