Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid error message during backup / restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrbodine

Programmer
Aug 24, 2000
US
When I am making backups of databases and performing restores, lately I've run into the following error (number 3259):

The volume on device 'backup_device_name' is not part of a multifamily (RAID) media set. Use WITH FORMAT to form a new RAID set. Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally.

Does anyone have any ideas on what causes this error, and ways to resolve it. A few help files have listed this error, but none I've seen have given any info on it.

Thanks,
Ray

yes I have the same problem, please help how do i correct this?

This error message occurs when you are backing a database to two or more backup devices, this is usually done by not removing the default backup device when creating a new backup job.
Go into the properties of the backup job, click on steps, edit the step and check the command syntax: Backup Database [databasename] TO [Device name] ... Ensure that the database is only backing up to one device, delete the incorrect backup device. The job should now work successfully.

Regards

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back