Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID CHANNELS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

osjohnm

Technical User
Apr 4, 2002
ZA
Hi

We need to setup a new dev server and we will have 5 drives(i wanted 6) with a boot drive(18Gb) and then 4(36gb) drives in raid 10.
i wanted the extra drive to mirror the system drive.

Anyway do to budget contraints i need to know if it is possible to run in the above config on a single scsi channel raid card like the adaptec 2110s. I know that it supports 15 devices but can one drive run normally and the 4 others in a raid array on the one channel?

If not would a scsi raid card with 2 channels work with the array on one channel and the boot drive on the other?

Thanks

John

IBM raid cards like the 4H would allow you to create the two arrays on one card with the 5 drives but they are expensive about 2000 bucks if memory serves, I cant remember if they are hardware specific to the IBM machines though. It will do the job and allow you to add devices hot swap if set right.

Marie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back