Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

raid arrays

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I have a compaq6500 server that has a raid 5 array of hot pluggable drives, 9 gig each. I have three 36 gig drives to replace them with. I want to pull the three existing drives and put them aside, while I install the three new drives and install NT on the new drives. If I remove those original drives can i re-install them if my other install goes bad, or i need to get to them again? Once they are removed is the array destroyed? Is the data still intact? Can I simply plug them back in and reboot?

thanks for any info..

You will be able to reinstall them as long as you replace the drive in the same bay that it was removed from.

No problems. If you put the drives back in as they work they will be fine. Its only a problem if you initialise them in the same or another server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back