Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

raid and system partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kudz

Technical User
Sep 6, 2002
US
Is there any form of raid that is able to contain the boot and system partition? I know I have seen it but am at a loss right now

As long as the RAID is hardware-based, Windows does not care if the system partition is on a RAID or a single hard disk.

However, if you only have a software RAID (via W2k), you can't have your system partition on it.

Definately go with a hardware-based RAID solution. RAID-1 is easy to set up (mirrored discs) and a decent card will only run you around $100.00 Fish

"Your worst day is only 24 hours long"

Boot and systems files on hardware RAID 1 (2 hard drives Mirrored), data on hardware RAID 5 (minimum 3 hard drives), and add another drive if possible for the paging file to sit by itself on, otherwise put on the RAID 5.

Dev

Anyone know if what the thought is in having 2 RAID 5 contains, one for System and Boot and one for Data? Is this a poor design choice? I myself always thought good design was to mirror system/Boot partition and RAID 5 the data on a Hardware RAID Controller.

Inquiring Minds,
[SadEyes]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back