Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID 5 server wont boot after disk failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronjohn

Technical User
Mar 1, 2005
US
I'm new to server troubleshooting and I was told to look at what I was told was a server with no RAID. It appears that a hard drive had failed, and on the start up only the boot disk screen would appear. However, when I booted it up, serveRAID error messages came up and in the configuration serveRAID utility it said it was in fact RAID 5.
The server has 4 hard drives; one of which in bay 0 is a hot spare (which I'm not sure entirely what that means). The drives in bay 1 and 2 were blinking yellow lights (which I think means rebuilding), and the one in bay 3 had a solid yellow light (which I think means bad drive).
I switched the "bad drive" with the hot spare and now all 3 lights are blinking yellow. However, the server still does not boot up. The boot disk screen still appears (the one where there is a picture of a disk and F1 being pressed).
Is the data on the server recoverable? Is it just a matter of waiting for the rebuilds? Why would it not work after only losing one drive? Any help is appreciated.

Also, I should mention that in the Computer Diagnostics, it does not recognize ANY of the four drives.

I'm having nearly the same problem with my machine. Did you ever figure out what was wrong?

Do you have an SRC code on the front of the system when you try and boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back