Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid 5 Drive Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkc1

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2004
US
Hi,
I have a server that has the OS drives mirrored Raid1. It has 3 additional drives setup as Raid5. These 3 drives are 72GB. The system was up, and running fine when I did this. I replaced each drive 1 at a time with 146GB drives, and let each 1 rebuild before I replaced the next. All 3 drives have been replaced, and the system is running fine, but it only sees those drives as 136GB (72 x 2) in disc management. Is there a way that I can have it see the additional space without having to redo the raid5 setup on the controller itself? I relize that I would have to allocate the additional space, but at the moment I can't see it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe that partitions/drives larger than 137 GB require Windows 2000 SP3 or higher,XP SP1 or higher, or an ATA 133 card...

The more I learn, the more I know I don't know enough.
<order>chicken w/garlic sauce combo</order>
For those about to rock, we salute you.
NO DISASSEMBLE!

When you replace a drive on a RAID-5 and then rebuild, the system will only use exactly what it used before...72Gb.

My advice:
Back up the entire RAID
Re-create the RAID the way you want it.
Restore your data to the new RAID

MCSE CCNA CCDA

donk,
Go into disk manager.
If you cannot see the additional unallocated space on the new physical disks, refer to my first response.

The more I learn, the more I know I don't know enough.
<order>chicken w/garlic sauce combo</order>
For those about to rock, we salute you.
NO DISASSEMBLE!

As dearingkr says even though you have more physical disk space the RAID-5 container itself will still have the same settings as when it was sitting on the smaller disks. Your RAID-controller management software should allow you to increase the size of a RAID-5 container though (without losing data) although personally I've only ever done this when adding more physical disks into the container, not by replacing all the disks with larger ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back