Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid 5 Adding Space on Hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

latitude12

Technical User
Sep 24, 2004
GB
We have a Dell PowerEdge 4400 server with 6 drives. The server has Dell OpenManage Array Manager v3.7 installed

* 2 disks are mirrored as our operating system on a virtual disk 0 which is fine and we are not going to do anything with these.
* 4 disk are on RAID-5 configuration on virtual disk 1. They where 33Gig drives and we have just replaced them,one by one, with 73 Gig drives and the RAID repaired itself but, as it should, only configured them as 33GB available on each physical disk

Each 68GB disk in the RAID-5 has 33GB in the RAID with the remaining 35GB unallocated. Array Manager sees this but can't do anything with it.

I need to allocate the rest of the new Unallocated space on the drives to the original partitions. Is this possible or do I have to reload my server.
Any help would be great.

You can use Dell's ExtPart tool to expand your current partitions, it's a nifty little tool. I was in the same situation as you were and it worked like a charm. You can use google to find the ExtPart tool, just remember to search for the executable. The first hit you'll get will be for Dell's FTP site. Just download the executable and the txt file next to it which has the instructions for use. Good Luck! Don't forget to have a good full backup of your data, just in case.

-Joe
IT Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back