Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid 10 on Compaq Prliant Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Is it possible to setup RAID 10 on compaq proliant server and how is this done

Until I saw this post I thought you could do RAID10 with Compaq controllers although now it looks like you have to go with a 3rd party to do that. (its easier to stay with a Compaq controller in a Compaq server than to do the above from a support standpoint... FYI)

Check out this link and read up about their ADG solution though... Maybe this would be acceptable to you for fault tolerance sake...

::)

Depends on what you mean by RAID10. No such level is defined in any official document, but I suppose it's some vendor's name for RAID0+1, which is striped mirrors.
Some ProLiants come bundled with an entry level RAID-controller, but these are primarily meant for mirroring the boot drive. Sticking with Compaq, you could go for their more expensive SmartArray 53xx (might be changed now to something new). Here you can do 0+1 with good performance. Don't think you get full control which drive gets mirrored with which, but I think the Smart in SmartArray actually has a meaning. :)
/charles

Raid 10 (1+0) is a striped mirror set.
Raid 01 (0+1) is a mirrored stripe set.

There is a difference. I dont know which solution compaq supports. They say "RAID 1+0(Striping & Mirroring)" which sounds completely wrong in definition.
Raid ADG seems to be good in fault tolerance. But might be slower rebuilt and in general performance too.
Raid 10 must be the best.

See info about Raid 10 here:

See info about Raid 01 here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back