Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID 1 Mirror question on ServerRaid 4Lx

Status
Not open for further replies.

chihtali

MIS
Sep 30, 2005
US
Hi:

I have an IBM xSeries 330 server installed with W2003 on a single disk initially through an IBM setup CD. This single disk was configured with RAID 0 during setup. I have just put in another identical H.D. and migrate it to Array A under Arrays main tree (through ServerRaid Manager). The size of Array A doubles and still shows one logical drive. My question is that how can I configure the controller to have it setup as Hardware Mirror without destroying the data?

I have done some research through the Help manual and user reference book, and looks like I need to do the following:

1. Create another logical drive from Array A by ugins the expended space from the newly added H.D.
2. Change the logical drives from RAID 0 to RAID 1.

Since I never do this before, I want to confirm if both steps are correct without destroying current OS and Data.

Thank you for your help.

Dayton1990

The first thing I would do is to make sure you have a full backup before you try to add it to RAID 1. Then I would Shutdown the box pull both drives and power up with serveRAID CD and delete the array then restart put drives back in and go back in serveRAID CD and make your RAID 1. If you have a test box I would try it on that first because it does not always work. READ ALL serveRAID messages they will tell you most times when the action will erase your data. I hope this helps you out.

Eric
Whirlpool Corp.

Eric:

Thanks for your expertise. I recall from the user manual that if an Array is deleted, isn't that then the entire content is also deleted?

Regards,

Dayton1990

You will lose your data. Back it up and verify your backup before you make your changes

if you pull drive the data is there on the drive, then you put it back in and you can load the config again if you need to. I believe it is F5 I think to reload the config but it is the one with load config from drives.

hope this helps

Eric
Whirlpool Corp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back