Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID 1 HD running out of space 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTTech

MIS
Oct 11, 2000
US
Dell PowerEdge 1400 server
Windows 2000 SBS
2 - 32GB SCSI Hard drive Raid 1
2 partitions (C and D)

We are running out of space on both partitions. If we purchase 2-72GB hard drives, what is the easiest way to install them?

1) Install both 72GB HD, install OS, then restore from a backup tape.
2) Is it possible to install 1 72GB HD, have it mirrored to the 32GB HD, take out the 32GB HD, and make the 72GB HD the primary HD? When establishing a mirror, can we specify the partition size or will it only partition the current size? If not, is using Partition Magic an ideal solution?

Thank you for your help.

easiest way is to image or clone the 32 gig to the 72 gig and remirror the 72 gig drives... if you use the later versions of ghost, it should work well for you. Just make absolutely sure you have a tape backup of all your data.

Word of warning about this tho, the server will probably gripe about having to do disk checks after the ghost process, let the server do whatever it has to do. I've done this with member servers and domain controllers with great results.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Personally I'd just install it as a new mirror and make an E volume and move data to it from the D volume as required.

I am actually running out of space on the C volume, not D. Is there an easy way to move data on C?

I tend to move the pagefile off the C: if it gets low on space, apart from that if you have backup software logging to it (such as ARCserve) these log files can get pretty big and should be pruned. To actually extend the C: volume you'd need to use something like Partition Magic, I've never run it on a production server but lots have and I don't hear many stability complaints etc...

Thank you for your replies. I decided to install the new hard drives in addition to the current HDs so we now have 2 RAID 1 arrays. We then moved the Exchange Information Store to the new partition which gave us 4GB of unused space on the C partition. Thanks again for your help.

I am having the same problem with a dell server. Is there any other way to add more space to the c drive. For instance maybe adding from the d partition? Sorry if this is a dumb ? just kind a new with the disk management.

As per the above posts - without using third party tools (such as Partition Magic) there's no way to extend the system partition. Not sure what Microsoft's view is on products like Partition Magic but I know lots of people use it successfully.

Does partition magic work with windows 2000 server?

lilmrk (TechnicalUser) Mar 6, 2004
Does partition magic work with windows 2000 server?

Yes it does. I use to work in Dell Enterprise System test and that is one of the things we did to each server.

Michael

Thanks for the replies! I will take your advice and give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back