Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radio between two buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeleahy

Technical User
Jan 12, 2005
IE
hi

i have a customer who has a fiber link between two buildings. they want redundancy built in in case the fibre breaks. they are around 500 yds apart. would a wireless radio work and if so how goes one go about setting up one of these

have a look at this link pictures paint a thousand words.
i realise it is a school but if u look around the walls in the play ground you will see what joins the 2 buildings. its a cheap solution but also will give u some idea of how they go about it

the new 2100 ap is a good bit of kit much better than there old 2000's i have now 40 laptops/pc's working from 2 of theses devices:) about to buy a 3rd one..

hope this helps you get started!!

ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/promo/Digital_EducationS.swf

Stand up wherever you are, go to the nearest window and yell as loud as you can, 'I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore.'

ps look around dlink web pages there,s another link showing a wireless city have a look at that for more ideads..
what your trying to do is called bridging 2 buildings..

then look at other manufactures :)

Stand up wherever you are, go to the nearest window and yell as loud as you can, 'I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore.'

As long as there is a completely clear line of sight between the two buildings, then you have a good chance of getting it to work. You'll need yagi or dish antennas at both ends to make sure of a good signal, and they should be mounted as high as possible.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Reminds me of funny story:

Client calls, they have just cut the fiber to remote building and are desperate. I show up with my "emergency bag of tricks" and setup a wireless bridge between the buildings. I used 2 AP's setup in bridge mode and ran cable for ant. out window. Mounted ant. on 10' pipe, aimed, and got it running.

Fast forward a week, they call back, not happy, seems the signal drops on and off during the day and they are now "hard down". Time for windshield time.

I get on-site only to find a huge UHual-style van parked right in front of the ant...... :)

You can use any Access Point that has removable ant., Bridge mode or at least Client mode in software.

I like using Client mode because the main AP is also usable as a normal AP for wireless clients. If you set them up as Bridge, you loose all normal wifi access.

Fleeman Anderson and Bird is a company that I buy antennas and cables from, look for a directional antenna like a Yagi.

I would NOT use a device specifically called "wireless bridge" because you will pay more and it will have limited other uses if you ever de-install it.

Just my 2-bits. Good Luck.

yeah but this is specifically for building to building as a back up only and one that can facilitate vlan pass thru

The 3com product that you suggested should work perfectly for you. You didn't even need anyone's help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back