Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radiation from PCMCIA Wireless cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
Just wondering: how strong is the radiation from PCMCIA wireless cards. Lately, I've got a pain in my right thigh, just where the PCMCIA card sticks out of the laptop.

Is it coincidental or could the radiation cause a dull pain?

I'll just try operating from a table or from one of those bean filled lap bags.

The dangers of Wi-Fi radiation

counter: Wi-fi health fears are 'unproven'

WiFi radiation is low-risk

perhaps it's just a nocebo response, e.g. you think it is harmful, thus you feel something there that isn't... but what do I know, I am no scientist...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

More likely that pain in the right thigh is a symptom of a pinched nerve or spinal compression in your back. I had a similar problem, only my pain was accompanied by tingling and a numb feeling. Turns out it was the above, stretching and back exercises helped get rid of it. Next time it happens, take an anti-inflammatory med like ibuprofen. If the pain goes away, it's not caused by radiation poisoning!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Thanks for the sites. I did a search before posting this but couldn't find anything.

I think it is the shape of the card sticking out. Happened to be watching tele yesterday with the machine switched off but in the same position that I normally have it. For some reason, I never thought of putting the machine down even though it was off. Same problem, same pain.

Since it occurs both with the machine on and off, I can only conclude that it is the shape of the card.

I do not believe your pain is from the card. However any radio emission can cause cancer if it is used for a long time. We did run a two year post graduate study using cell phones. It can be assumed as proven that cell phone use of more then 20 minutes a day can and will cause brain tumors. This study of our group was ignored and we were made to understand that it is not in the interest of the university and its sponsors to make the results public. Now I do believe that WIFI sometimes uses similar frequencies as cell phones, so I suggest be very careful in what you are doing and keep the emission away from your body or head.
Regards

Jurgen

It's unlikely to cause you pain, or be the cause. While I've never seen anything concrete, I don't carry my mobile in my trouser pocket ;)

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Did you guys see the cell phone/popcorn demo on youtube? I don't recall the name of the clip but they placed some cell phones in a circle with popcorn kernals in the middle. When the cell phones were called the popcorn popped.

Very cool!

David

Cell Phone Popcorn? - Urban Legends

Cell Phone Popcorn Hoax Videos Revealed as a Marketing Campaign for Bluetooth Headsets

Cellphone popcorn hoax revealed as viral marketing scam

Though a cool vid, nothing to the story...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

If a mobile phone could pop corn, you'd sure as hell know about it when you tried to use it...

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back