Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radiant system crashes since being moved

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmerch1

Technical User
Feb 25, 2011
We have a server that was moved from a straight cabled connection to another location. We also added a hub/switch in between. The system has now crashed twice in the past 8 hours. There are 4 stations (terminals) and 1 server with 1 internet and one Aloha network connection. The hub/switch is only between the file server and all the other POS terminals. Would using a RJ45 coupler eliminate the issue? Is there some documentation about the appropriate connectivity that occurs in a radiant pos network? Additionally, what protocol is used for communication since the server has no gateway set?

The aloha connection on the terminals and aloha NIC card on the computer should be set to the same ip scheme.
this is the scheme i use:
static always not DHCP
10.1.1.100 - server
10.1.1.101 - term1
10.1.1.102 - term2
subnet should be 255.255.255.0

ect, no gateway or dns numbers on this connection.

you may use any ip set like that but it must be different from the internet connection.

Most internet connections are 192.168.1.??? and are usually DHCP auto.

The network cable from the aloha connection should be connected to a switch - not a router. If using a router turn off DHCP.

The network connection from the internet connection would be connected into a router or straight into the internet modem.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Coorsman

Thanks for the quick response. In our case, the settings stayed the same and they do seem to match with your recommendations except for 192.168.x.x being the aloha network and 10.x being the internet network.
It seems like they use a protocol other than tcp/ip since they don't have a gateway, but i'm not sure.

Check the terminals, see what tcpip settings are on them. They will need to match the NIC card settings on your boh.

Cheers,
Coorsman

Would using a RJ45 coupler eliminate the issue?" No not at all if anything it could/would create more issues, depending on the distance. If you think this is the issue perhaps you have a faulty switch, but I doubt it. Before using a coupler it would be best to run a new wire the entire distance. I have used couplers because another network installer cut the wire while straping it in place. It was a short distance and since the client 3rd partied the network, I used a coupler as a quick solution. And I told them all about it and that the network installer should run a new line. But regardless of this working, a coupler is not the solution to your issue.

Where there no other computers added? No settings changed? Nothing else changed, simply a switch added to extend the wire? I suspect another computer was added with a DNS setting conflict, but I don't know. If nothing was changed or added besides the switch, maybe you should just try another switch or recap and/or rerun cables. To test this, put the server back in the original location. No issues = faulty wiring or switch. More than likely a bad crimping job.

Tom

Coorsman, are you saying there should be no DNS and Gateway entries on the file server as well as the terminals, or just the terminals that need to not have these entries. Does this hold true even if the file server is connected to the internet (just asking cause I don't see how the credit cards would go through if the server does not have this information).

If you have 2 NIC cards , one will be for the Aloha system no DNS or Gateway. and the other for the internet is usually DHCP.

Cheers,
Coorsman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back