Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radiant P1220 powers down (help) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shemps

Technical User
Oct 23, 2004
US
Hi, my Radiant p1220 has started a glitch where it powers down and reboots for no apparent reason. Hardware wise, I've ran new cat-5 cable, changed out power conditioner, basically looking for power/connection issues. There is no rhyme or reason to this issue. Sometimes it happens once or twice a day, sometimes 3 consecutive times in a couple of minutes, some times nothing for two days. My Aloha reps are about to charge $400+ to come onsite and investigate, but from what they've said on the phone it is likely that they are going to recommend buying a new terminal. I've disabled this one from being the master so the entire restaurant isn't shut down, but this one is the cashier with the money drawer. Any suggestions before I have to go and get a new one? Also, is it as simple as swapping out the hard drive with a new one to get me up and running? (in other words, can I do it myself). I'm on 6.1 Aloha. Thanks for any input, I'm lost for what to do next

sounds like either the power supply is going out or the cpu is getting hot and shutting down. 2 screws under the bottom and the top lifts off. Im not sure of the model, most don't have HD, use a UDOC chip with windows embedded. Get a can of air and blow the dust out of it if it's dirty. Or replace power supply.

good luck

Thanks coorsman, I'll start there and update. When you say power supply, I'm assuming to replace the corded power supply, not the supply inside the unit...at least first. I'll hope for lots of dust to make this fix easy. Thanks again for getting me started, at least I fell like I'm doing something.
John

I'd check to be sure all fans are turning and the DC power connector that leads from the power supply up to the top half is firmly connected. You might want to reseat it if there is any question.

By power supply, I mean the part of the terminal that the power cord connects to.

Given the randomness of your shutdowns, I'm _guessing_ it's not a thermal issue. Leaving us with the harder options of bad power supply or motherboard. You can swap parts between terminals, but do so at your own risk and stay within what you can safely do (otherwise you may end up with two dead terminals).

BTW, you could swap the terminal number in ibercfg and the computer name with another (ideally identical) terminal in the restaurant. Then, at least you have a cashier station until the flaky one is fixed. It would also tell you if there is something on that terminal Aloha is getting upset about and forcing a reboot.

corrsman and endyem, you have no idea of how much time and money you have saved me! Most importantly, I can go back to running my restaurant! I have had no problems since switching our power cord (so simple) and cleaning the dust. I am in your debt. I wish my tech support company worked as simply and dedicated as you do.
John

Make sure the outlet the terminal is plugged into is isolated and grounded. Also, if all terminals aren't Radiant, make sure you have the Radiant set to non master\server capable, and make sure you logins, passwords, hosts, and lmhosts files are all correct and in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back