Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radiant Hardware - Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

alohatech2

IS-IT--Management
Oct 13, 2006
US
In the coming year, we expect to test and convert to Radiant Hardware from IBM SurePOS and NCR equipment.

All hardware has its ups and downs - what can we expect from Radiant Hardware?

Are the newer models better than the ones from a couple of years ago (do we know yet)?

As a point of information, we do expect to use Radiant's handy tool for auto-installs. We also have Command Center (RDF) running at our stores already.

alohatech...You and I should talk...Might be easier than this forum.

Radiant's RAL system is very similar to my full terminal installer I wrote several years ago. -Radiant came out and had me show them everything. Their radiantupdate utility is also based similarly off my single EXE silent updater which updates the entire POS(Mine has been in use for over 5 years) I can update 300 or more locations in one night.

-Google my username, and you'll find my personal website and contact info.

Thanks ...

I was wondering if anyone can tell me more about the Radiant Hardware itself. I saw one guy saying he is tired of fixing them all the time. What models are those and what typically fails?

Anyone else using it?

Thanks

I would just prefer to communicate directly with regards to references and recommendations.

The 1200 series terminals do have more repairs, and the larger 1500 series terminals work better.

Megabyte,
I was wondering if you can help me out with a radiant system i am thinking of buying. I'm new to the pos game and dont want to make any mistakes. Can I run any other software than aloha on the system? i was thinking of free pos. I just need a simple program for my small burger shop.

Like most others, the Radiant terminals are just laptop technology. So you can run practically anything you want on them.

If you are acquiring a POS system try using what you get. Even Aloha with all it's abilities, has a demo database that is a simple hamburger stand database (Like a Rally's burgers menu). -It matches the Aloha menu training class manual.

Aloha does do alot of things for alot of people, but also can be as simple as you need and grow with you.

If you just need a couple of terminals, and you have the software you wish to use, there are alot of refurb equipment out there too available at great prices and warranties. I am bombarded daily about deals and such, but I have my favorite people I use.

Let me know how you want to go.

Thanks, after reading some other posts about repairing their radiant systems, I think I am going to stick with piecing one together.
Just a quick question, do my kitchen printer and receipt printer have to be the same manufacturer/model?

No.

I use various printers... iThaca, some Star's, and Epson.

Radiant has a new version of their 1200 series terminals which appears to have been improved and the issues have been worked out.

Megabyte, Thank you for bringing this back to topic. I have not yet decided to speak offline about the topic and will contact you if I do.

Everyone else, I am still looking for specific feedback on any known hardware issues with Radiant terminals if you have any.

The biggest problem I knew of with the 1200 series terminals had to do with the original design of the flash memory option that was used instead of a hard drive. The flash memory piece has totally been solved, and is the preferred method for storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back