Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radiant 1210

Status
Not open for further replies.

postech777

IS-IT--Management
Oct 7, 2002
MX
I have a screen that seams to have a burnt bulb (screen is very dim) , without going through Radiant does anybody know how I could get parts for this, OR provide more insight on how to resolve this.

To the best of my knowledge, you have to do it through your dealer. I am pretty sure that's why Radiant went with proprietary hardware, so they could make extra money with this stuff. My understanding is that even the dealers have to send it in to Radiant, and they get nabbed pretty good on the bill too. So don't be suprised if it's pricey.

Depending on how old the unit is, you might want to consider going with something else.

Best of luck!

We WERE a dealer until they announced thier quota requirements. I agree about getting people out of thier current hardware, we are actively getting people out of the Radiant nonsense but some of the problems seam simple.

Is there some irony in selling Aloha in Hawaii?

Thx for the info.

I have a lot of clients that are going TO Radiant hardware. The reason being is that they have an awesome warranty program. If anything goes wrong, they send you a new unit (up to a year). You can buy a longer warranty program (up to 5 years). In the long run, it's actually cheaper to do this. My clients that have done this LOVE it. Please don't call it nonsense. If the client opted out of the warranty program, then it's their fault. This program is designed to cost the client less money in the long run. Some of the other hardware that I've seen blows up after 3 years. If Radiant warranties it for 5 years (1 year for free) then it's a good deal. We've ran the numbers on what the cost benefit is, and the outlook is very good for the client. It doesn't cost the dealer anything to do an warranty for a unit (if we even need to)!

The Radiant hardware is very good (except the 1210). I would go with the solid state 1220, I've had nothing but great reviews from my clients.

Adam

And it's not proprietary if you can use any hardware that you want with the software. Micros is proprietary because you HAVE to use their hardware. There are terminals out there that you have to send back to the manufacturer to get fixed, but are they proprietary? No. Just because a software company comes out with a competitive hardware does mean that they are proprietary.

Thanks,
Adam

We would have loved to buy the warranty but they forced us out of our their software and hardware to give our custumers to another dealer. Despite solid sales and great custumer satisfaction. They will not allow us to help our custumers. They won't ship parts, the flat rate for repair is outrageous and since we are no longer an aloha dealer they refuse to accept our RMA's. We are not an exception please read the thread below and many like it on the food service's forum. If the 1210 was so weak they knew it wouldn't last two years they shouldn't have sold it.

The hardware isn't proprietary to any software but you can't buy parts at a computer store to solve basic problems.

Check out this long running thread

Show me an all-in-one terminal that you CAN buy parts at a computer store. If you want to go that way, buy a regular computer with ALL of the peripherals that come with it. I've dealt with these and they are a pain in the butt. Unless you planned well, they will look like crap because you have cords everywhere.

There has to be a reason why they no longer allow you to be an Aloha reseller. I'm sure there is more to the story than that.

I used to post on that other forum, but all it consists of is salesman drowning out Techs that are trying to help by bashing other products. I don't post on that lousy forum.

I think that you are mad at Aloha and that's the reason behind this thread. Their flat rates are not bad, and if your clients go through their new dealer for repair, I'm sure the repair would either be under warranty or inexpensive.

I get some IBM xx1's with bulbs burnt out and to send them back to IBM would cost $900 or to send them elsewhere is usually a flat $500 to fix. What I do is solder in a new bulb that I buy from digikey and it's all fixed. I charge the client about $130 to do it. If you can open up the 1210 and figure out what kind of bulb it's using, I'm sure you'll be able to solder in a new one.

Adam

OK, I read most of that post and it holds up to what I have come to figure of that forum.

1. Complete generality of dealers. Not all Aloha dealers charge that much. It's the DEALER not the software that is charging that much.

2. One guy claims that Aloha isn't CISP compliant. Can someone say WRONG?

3. David_L makes that entire forum horrible. If I met him I would put my size 15 up is @$$

You know what. I'm sorry that you got canned from Aloha. It sounds like you have a good market share, so I'm not going to spend anymore time with this.

No matter what your company does, there will be people out their that don't like you. I personally like Aloha, it's a good product and radiant treats our company very well.

Oh I see the sun is always brightest on the Aloha side, ah well at least your intentions are known.

1) You're kidding right.. $500 for flat rate is reasonable. I EXPECT the company to send me the part and I'll fix it for my client. If you are unable too and/or more than willing to soak your clients that's up to you.

2) I'm sorry you can't read very well but our company wasn't 'canned'. Maybe reread the original post again.

3) That isn't the only post about Radiant poor business practices.

Aloha / Radiant POS - BEWARE

4) The forum is well balanced, and I'm guessing well watched by many.

What I'm looking for is the ability to repair my clients equimpment at a reasonable price. I've heard on the 1210 they aren't even using new parts but rather used or 'refurbed' equipment.

FYI, those bulbs are not proprietary. You can take your unit to a tv\vcr shop or a computer shop and they can fix it if they know how to replace a bulb in any LCD.

I'll avoid the Radiant discussion for now.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

It seems that the majority of the people on forums don't like resellers, whether they are Radiant, Micros, DD, or whatever. I am a dealer and I post on this forum to HELP people who may not have good relations with their dealer. I understand that some dealers are not good, and charge too much. I am a dealer that believes in being fair. I spend my time helping people on this forum and I don't expect anything back but a thanks. I have channels for getting information that non-dealers cannot obtain. I'm just trying to get the word out there that not all dealers are bad.

If my help is not welcome, or if people want to bash my product I have no problems going away. I have a reseller forum that I can read as well, so nothings hurt.

I'm just sick of people bashing products and companies. That's why I left that other forum. This one is different, people actually want to help others. Maybe I should have just ignored this guy.....oh well.

Adam

Adam, I agree that the Foodservice forum is pretty anti-dealer. What's worse, is that the dealers on there seem to be either shamelessly pushing their products, or fighting with other dealers. No one wonder the restaurant owners who participate don't really want them around.

I know we're all competing for the same business at some level, but I am continually amazed at the level of bitterness and animosity I see locally and within the forums. There have been times where my customers have told somebody was saying stuff about me personally, whom I've never even met! Anyway, I have lurked in that forum for quite a while, but I rarely post because I don't want to be sucked in silly, time consuming-and eventually fruitless-debates.

I am not taking sides on this issue. You both make fair points. Radiant has had some shady business practices in the past, but I think you can find a bad review on any company if you look hard enough (and I say all this NOT being fan of Radiant as a whole). Channels of distribution are still huge in this industry. Radiant has resellers to have those dealers provide local sales and service to customers, and in turn these resellers expect to have some kind of exclusive on the products and services they provide, to make them more competitive. I agree with Postech in spirit, that it seems silly and petty in this day and age-to try and prevent someone else from providing even service for your product-it seems kind of backwards. But that seems to be he predominant business model in this industry since the mid-90s.

I appreciate the help you've provided in the past Adam, and I hope you stick around. If anything, your willingness to come on here and share information that you don't have to (for nothing in return) shows that you are obviously not one of the crappy dealers postech is talking about. Postechs comments have merit, but you don't represent what he is talking about, and that's being lost in translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back