Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radeon 9800 pro problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jusenkyo

Programmer
Aug 16, 2002
GB
Helo all

I have just installed a Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card into my system... which is an XP3000+, 512 DDR 3200 Ram, Asus A7n8X Deluxe motherboard...

When I try to play Tron 2.0 and C&C Generals, the games both play for a few minutes perfectly, and then they just fall over!

I have just downloaded the latest drivers for the card, which I hope should work. But has anyone got any other ideas at all?

Cheers
Jusenkyo

How do they just 'fall over'. What does the machine do? You need to be more specific in describing the problem.

Also, ATI has very explicit directions for installing new drivers. You should obtain those, and closely follow them.

Well, by fall over I mean, in the case of Tron, The game runs fine on every detail possible, but after a seamingly random amount of time, it just closes and goes back to windows!

At first I thought that it might be the card overheating... but its a Histech Iceq one, with a HUGE heatsink and fan on it. And I haven't overclocked it or anything...

In regards to the drivers thing. I have installed the latest ones, I think (It was just for the Radeon 9800 series, not the radeon 9800 pro). But this doesnt work either!

What do you mean by specific installation? Its an excecutable that you just run, and the drivers get installed!

HEEEEELLLLLLP!!!

The installation instructions I see at the ATI site are:

Installation Instructions:
NOTE: Ensure that you have logged onto the system with Administrative rights if you are using Windows 2000/XP

Uninstall the ATI Display Driver
Restart once prompted. If prompted cancel the installation of the display adapter upon boot up.
Close all other applications running, including any anti-virus software before attempting to install the driver suite.

Windows 2000/XP:
You can confirm that all applications are closed using the Windows Task Manager.
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL once and then click Task Manager. Select the "Applications" tab. If any applications are still listed on this tab, highlight the application and then click the "End Task" button at the bottom of the tab. Repeat this procedure until there are no more applications running.

Windows 98/SE/ME:
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL once. Highlight each application and then click the "End Task" button at the bottom of this window. Repeat this procedure until there are no more applications running except for EXPLORER & SYSTRAY. Do NOT end task on these two applications or your PC will shut down.

Locate the Display Driver download and double-click on it.
Restart once prompted.
Locate the ATI Control Panel (if included) download and double-click on it.
Restart once prompted.
Locate the WDM Capture drivers and double-click on it. - ONLY download if you have an AIW RADEON or RADEON VIVO family product.
Restart once prompted

was having the same problem with my 9700pro. installed 2 case fans, 1 suck and 1 blow and havent had the problem since.

I have 4 case fans!

I have tried running C&C generals for a an hour or so (Whenever it cuts out, starting it back up, and the heatsinks are only just warm - they are nowhere near hot.

I have tried running a big fan that I use to cool my room in the summer, into the open case, same problem.

I am running outa ideas here!

try the omega drivers for your vid card. i was having similar problems with an almost identical system, i have a 9700pro/1gig pc3200. even 3dmark03 gave me a very poor bench with the 3.10 set. everything changed after the omegas however

i tried every driver set from 3.06 also the same results.

I tried to install the Omega drivers - and it came up with a problem!

I will try again tonight though...

Hey Jusenkyo, did you have any luck? I just installed a Radeon 9800 Pro on my system which is eerily similar to yours, and I have the same problem: random lockups and dumps to Windows or restarts. I've checked cooling, have the latest drivers, and even replaced the power supply.

My only guess now is the drivers.

Any help? Thanks.

All sounds very familiar Radeon 9700pro/9800/9800Pro/9800XT
I posted a couple of times about my problems (9800Pro) my friend Michaels (9800XT) and his friends 9800XT plus a host of our customers with this card range.
We have all swopped to FX's 5900/5950's (not sure about the customers lol) Nvidia's just run everything and are so easy to live with.
And yes, these problems were recent and include the latest Catalyst drivers.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Make sure that fastwrites is turned off in the BIOS .

Catalyst 3.9 and up ATI recommends running xp-sp1 .

Out of interest, what are the specs of the PSUs you guys are running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back