Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radeon 9700 Pro Clone and Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ednachman

Programmer
Jul 2, 2003
US
I have purchased a Radeon 9700 Pro 128 MB Video Card. However it is really a FIC Clone A97. My MOBO is ASUS P4G8X Deluxe. My OS is XP Professional. I have 1gig of memory. My computer crashes at random moments. I removed the video card and replaced it with a $26.00 3D Phantom XP-3800 32MB card while the Radeon was sent to FIC to see what the problem was. During the time of the cheaper card installed I did not have any crashes or be able to play any games other than solitaire. The replacement card was sent back and I installed it. Again, the computer crashes and at times I get a BSOD which mentions a driver problem (which I've already upgraded) and/or shadowing & caching problem. I spoke with a Tech Support person (rare, I know) who suggested that the card will perform better if the IRQ is set at 11. It is now on 16. This IRQ is shared with USB Universal Host Controller. The cheapie card works on IRQ 16. How can I change the IRQ? By E-Mail and not by any human being, FIC suggests that I return the card for inspection. This will be the second time I’ve returned a card to the company. Most likely I’ll get another replacement card but I don’t believe there will be any difference in the performance. I suspect a heat issue but am not sure. Any suggestions other than keep the $26.00 video card and ask for a refund from FIC.

ednachman
Weak power supply (the high consuming 9700PRO just putting too much strain on the PSU, voltages drop and system crashes)
Heat as you have pointed out, the graphics card is another radiator giving off additional heat in the case, yes it could be the graphics card overheating but it's just as likely the CPU (check those CPU temps just after a hard slog )
DX9b installed
Latest ATI Catalyst drivers installed
Latest motherboard drivers installed (AGP)
Patches installed for the games played
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I have an Antec 550 watt power supply. I checked everything you suggested and am up to date other than games which is not a primary concern at this time. It looks like a heat problem. Still learning, what's SLOG?

I have space for three extra fans. Any suggestions on what type I should get?

Slog (hard work) must be an English thing sorry.
Power obviously shouldn't be the problem with the excellent Antec 550watt.
Guess these are 80mm mounts? just stay clear of cheap sleave bearing type fans, if you want reliability they must have old fashioned ball bearings.
choose models rated over 30cfm (air movement rating)
If noise is a priority then there are several thermal sensitive fans available that spin faster as they get warmer, Vantec stealth, thermaltake etc.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

i have a different brand 9700pro. i had to install two 80mm fans to stop mine from crashing, 1 suck and 1 blow.

I recieved my FIC Radeon 9700 clone, installed it, and now, on occassion, the screen goes blank and I have to re-boot. I went back to my $26.00 video card and noticed that on occassion that the computer re-boots on its own. I am now concerned that the MOBO has problems. It's an ASUS P4G8X Deluxe. Any suggestions?

I went to and found the following information, "The P4G8X had a lot of trouble with the ATI Radeon 9500/9700 graphics chip series which meant that it was not suited to 3D games or other applications that required 3D rendering (unless you were using an AGP Pro card). Other than the price and the ATI problem there was never really any problem with the P4G8X, but it wasn't such a great performer for what you would have paid for it."

Here's the latest from ASUS motherboards about the problem.

"Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is ZYC, and I would be assisting you today.
¡ôP4G8X has some compatible issue with older 9500/9700 cards ,but only parts of ealier ATI R300 chip based cards.
i suggest you disable the fast read in the advanced ATI display property---smartgart.
Thank you for using ASUS products and services!
ZYC
ASUS Customer Service Center (Beijing,China)"

I believe ZYC meant "fast write" instead of "fast read." Is "fast write" in "smartgart" vitally important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back