Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radeon 9250 Hangups 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

evosmudge

Technical User
Apr 23, 2002
US
My PC Chips M841LR has a built in video card and I purchased a Diamond ATI Radeon 9250 PCI 256MB card as an upgrade. My first problem with the installation was the bad CD driver it came along with. I then tried going to the Diamond website, which also had a bad release of the driver. ATI had a driver that actually completed during installation but the screen went black afterwards. When I restarted, my screen would show the "Windows XP Prefessional" with the black background but then halt to another black screen when it would normally be the blue intro to Windows. I then restarted to safe mode and found that the display adapters in the Device Manager showed no conflict but disabled it. My video controller had a question mark and no driver installed. After rebooting, Windows would properly start but under a default driver. After plenty of reboots and changes to the settings, I was able to use my ATI driver but the system would freeze if a video would play or if starting Adobe Premiere.

So I then decided to reformat my system, thinking it may work better on a clean install. Now I am back with the same problems mentioned above but have not played with the configurations to enough to get the driver to work.

I am hoping someone has an idea on what I am doing wrong unless this is a case of a bad video card. Can someone give me guidance on this video card install?

Under System Information, I noticed that my new video card was sharing IRQ11 with 3 other devices. No conflicts are shown but could that be the problem?

System:
AMD XP1700 (w/shared video 64MB)
ECS PC CHIPS M841LR mb
768MB RAM
Diamond ATI Radeon 9250 PCI 256MB
onboard audio, lan, and USB

I apologize for the long story, but I just wanted to tell the whole picture so much was left out.

Thanks,
Darwin

I forgot to add that I did change my bios settings for my video controller to PCI instead of AGP (onboard video). During my first install, I disabled the onboard video in display adapter and did not install it on the clean install.

I'm still using an AMD 850 Thunderbird box that I built over 5 years ago. I just checked my IRQ's. On IRQ 11 i have the following:

video card
sound card
usb card
nic card

4 cards sharing the same IRQ is not a problem for my pc.

Thanks macten88 for you response.

Would it be possible that my motherboard cannot support this 256MB video card?

That mobo should actually use an AGP 4X card. Which PCI slot are you plugging the video card in? It should be the one closest to the AGP slot.

This motherboard does not offer an AGP slot but has an embedded AGP video adapter. There are 3 PCI slots and 1 AMR slot available for expansion. At the moment, I have a Firewire card in the first PCI slot and the video card in the second. I will try switching them to see if there are any changes.

Trying different slots is a good idea, as not every driver perfectly handles shared interrupts with other drivers. Also, if you do not use the serial ports or the parallel port, disable them in the BIOS. It may free more interrupt lines for the PCI peripherals.

You can also check for getting the latest BIOS upgrade. Perhaps that it does not disable the on-board video properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back