Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radeon 9000 won't install ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

isolies

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
GB
I've just bought a Radeon 9000 64Mb AGP graphics card, and cannot get it to work in my system. I'm running Windows XP.

I have a Giga-byte GA-7ZMMH motherboard (VIA KM133A) with onboard graphics. I can't find any way (either in the BIOS or by using jumpers to disable the onboard graphics) -- there's nothing in the manual or on their website. I have downloaded the latest drivers for the motherboard and updated the BIOS.

When I install the new Radeon card, plug my monitor into it, and turn on the PC, the monitor just stays in sleep mode -- it doesn't seem to receive any signal from the card. I've tried various different things, but nothing works. I downloaded the latest Radeon drivers from the ATI website and installed them and then installed the card, but still no life in my monitor

I did manage to get some corrupted mess on the screen once, but it was so corruped that I couldn't see much. It seemed to find the new card, but I couldn't read anything onscreen (I could just about make out "Radeon"), so I couldn't install the new hardware!

I was expecting to simply plug in the new card, install the drivers and I'd be set, but this is simply not the case -- can you please help?

Try this: in BIOS, under PNP/PCI Configuration, set "VGA boot from" value to "AGP" from the system default value of "PCI" this should enable your new AGP card.

What looking I did at the motherboard manual indicates you need to go to device manager and uninstall the VT8365/8364 VGA driver...they seem to be what enables/disables the onboard video.
This may also entail uninstalling the drivers you've installed...look for them in add/remove programs...
Then on reboot, we hope your system will see the video card...it's first in the post...and continue on it's merry way. (sometimes doesn't work this way, but it helps to stay optimistic)

Thanks for the advice...

I went out and bought myself a PNY GeForce 4 MX440 graphics card, plugged it in and it worked first time! Looks like the Radeon is either defective or plain incompatible with my system (although there's nothing written in either the printed or web documentation from either Gigabyte or ATI to say that the parts shouldn't be compatible). I'll send it back and get another one and try it (I'd really rather have the Radeon than the GeForce 4 and try it and see what happens...I'll let you know...

...maybe the "unique solution" -> "Update BIOS":
(7zmmh_f9.zip F9
(Apr. 10, 2002)
1. Correct AMD CPU XP 1800+(ID 680), 2100+, 2200+
2. Add ATI8500 AGP patch)
(OR Later version...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back