Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radeon 8500DV and Premier 6.5 - how to edit anlaog video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa0Lisa

Technical User
Jan 5, 2003
CA
Hi there,

New to the PC platform, and having extreme trouble getting my Radeon 8500DV card to import any analog video. I am using RCA connectors to the card. I want to edit the video in Premier, and output to VHS as well, but I'm having no luck at all. Does anybody know if the Radeon card will work with Premier? I also have Ulead Video Studio 6, but it won't recognize the video either. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lisa

By doesn't recognize the video, do you mean Premiere cannot see the capture card to allow you to capture? Can you capture on the software for the card and then put it into a Premiere project? Try Was the premiere installed after the card? Smoe capture devices have drivers for specific Premiere versions. IE the Pinnacle DV 500 card has drivers and software that is Premiere version specific.

I have also tried in the Ulead Video Studio 6, with plans to then import that into Premier, but no luck.

Anyone out there with knowledge of Ulead Video Studio 6. It comes with virtually no documentation nor support. I really need to use the analog inputs and outputs that came with the Radeon card, but no luck so far.

All tips appreciated.

Lisa

Does the capture card show up as a capture device? I think it should in device manager, but that depends on what your operating system is. What version of windows are you running?

If it's not showing up as a capture device, your problem might be of more of a hardware/driver issue.

I generally use VirtualDub to actually perform the capture, then the most of the editing work in Premiere. VDub is freeware, just another program you could try. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...but I'm just a C man trying to see the light

It's been my experience that Premiere doesn't recognize any of the ATI graphics cards' analog capture capabilities (it should work with the one that has an integral firewire port - but that's digital). I've had two different All-In-Wonder Radeons and neither was recognized by premiere.

icrf suggested using VirtualDub and I'll vouch for it too - though I only use it for quickly transcoding video. The ATI Media Center can be configured to capture (using the card's analog inputs) and it does a fairly decent job. I've also had some luck with a shareware program called ClapSE (sorry I can't remember where I downloaded it). It has a clunky interface, doesn't save your settings but it was fast enough to do real time DivX encoding while capturing (if you're into that).

However for editing, your best bet is to use DV. I've never used Video Studio 6 but the older versions of it used DV type-1 (so does MGI Video Wave and whatever it became when Roxio bought MGI). Premiere uses DV type-2 and the two types aren't quite compatible. Most programs allow you to export or render to DV but if you're capturing with one and editing with another you may need to convert them.

Canopus makes a DV file converter that'll convert between DV formats (there's apparently 5 different codecs: type-1, type-2 and three different canopus codecs). The converter is a free download from
If you're going to use the ATI card, try searching for analog capture software (even web cam software might work). Once captured, convert to DV and then you can edit with whatever.

Lisa, I had a similar problem with my ATI 8500DV... I couldn't see any video... I had to go into setup and click on 'composite video' as the INPUT SOURCE... I am using the same setup as you ... I also found Ulead to be wanting so I am now using Pinnicle Studio... you would REALLY LIKE it... less than 70.00 on the Inet...

Ok Lisa, I have the Radeon 8500DV, I also had problems using Premiere but if you search on the 'ATI' website, it will show you the most recent driver to download, once you have done this you will be able to capture and export video. It worked for me, hope it does for you. The driver that you will have to download is one of two... "tv-capture-wdm-6-13-10-6173v3" or "wxp-radeon-6-13-10-6118-efg". Im not sure which one out of the two that I downloaded worked, but one of them definately does. There will be links within the 'ATI' website to direct you to the correct driver anyway. Hope this help. Luke

I had the same problem a/ Premiere. Found a freeware called AVIEdit - Just selected Composite Video in the Capture Source box and got it to capture from my VCR.
The quality of the captured stuff is not very good, could be because I'm using lousy cables...Hope that helps...

Btw: My system is WinXP Pro, Athlon XP 2000, 512MB PC2100 DDR, 80G NTFS hard drive, ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500DV videocard, SoundBlaster Live! soundcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back